Feb 18, 2023
I have a Lenovo V50s-071MB computer. I now realize the power supply is very small, 260 watt max. I wanted to install a new graphics card on on the PCI express 16 slot I have, but as expected theres no 8 pin power connector.

The chassis and so the power supply are very small form factor:

1) Do you know if anyone makes a power supply I could buy that could fit these dimensions

2) If I need an 8GB graphics card, are they all going to need a separate power supply?

I don’t need this card upgrade for gaming, it’s to run a medical imaging software.

This was the card I had bought in a hurry:

https://www.gamedude.com.au/products/shop/pny-geforce-rtx-3050-8gb-verto-dual-fan-sku-vcg30508dfbpb

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In this case I think it might be best to look into external graphics card housing. I am merely familiar with them in passing in a "heard of them" kind of way. I don't know what interface they require back to the PC.

I am not sure what the connectors for that power supply are. Due to the form I also don't specifically know of something more powerful that would fit inside the case, but worse comes to worse you could do a PICO type supply. At the end of the day, that card is not going to fit inside that case even with the proper power supply. That would take a half height, low profile card IF that would even fit. Which leads back around to the external enclosure.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In doing a quick look earlier seemed to indicate this PC has 10th gen Intel for the processor?

I would consider its draw, the draw of the graphics card you are considering with some overhead room for the balance of the hardware. You could try a calculator to see if you are close. Aside from that, if it fits, try it and see.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Something that you could consider, but would take a bit of footwork and ability on your part.

Chances are high that the motherboard inside that case is m-ITX. You could check to see if the power connectors it has are standard (20/24 pin) and if it has a standard "CPU" connector (typically 4/8 pin). Check to see if it is using standard front panel connectors and of course a standard layout as mentioned above.
If so, purchase a standard case that has provisions for ITX mobo, keep the storage drive from the current rig, RAM from the current rig, etc. and move into the larger case, which would allow room for the graphics card you wish to use.

I know with some proprietary systems this turns into a whole flea circus of adapters and this and that...I have not had hands on with one of this brand, so not sure what you might run into.