[SOLVED] Am I powering this component incorrectly?

Jun 20, 2020
So I have this here fan hub:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08UH-09FN2?Description=PC 1 to 8 4Pin Molex Cooler Cooling Fan Hub&cm_re=PC_1 to 8 4Pin Molex Cooler Cooling Fan Hub-_-9SIAK2CBX92664-_-Product&quicklink=true
I'm using a 4 pin ATX to Molex:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812816222?Description=atx to molex&cm_re=atx_to molex-_-12-816-222-_-Product
AND an adapter thingy or whatever here:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812706015?Item=N82E16812706015
The hub doesn't receive power and I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here... I have the ATX to Molex plugged into the adapter but I'm noticing that there are 4 female slots and only one male slot... does this mean it's powered via female Molex and I'm doing it wrong?

Paperdoc

Glorious
Ambassador
The 4-pin Molex SUPPLY connector is always female. The device that USES the power always has a MALE input connector, as your fan Hub does. You are doing it backwards, so no wonder you get no power. The 4-pin ATX socket on your mobo is to INPUT power to the board for a particular component; it is NOT an OUTPUT to provide power to some accessory.

The power to your fan Hub should be from a PSU 4-pin Molex FEMALE connector. You have a Molex Splitter that can convert that PSU output into 2 outputs, but I don't see why you need it unless you are short of Molex output connectors.

By the way, that Hub is labelled as a "PWM 3-pin ..." device. It is not. It has NO conponents to do anyting involving the PWM system of fan control. It uses the older 3-pin fan system in which the VOLTAGE supplied to each fan on its Pin #2 is varied to change fan speed. In this Hub the variance is done by the manual switch. It gives you the choice of three fan speeds: High, Low, and Off.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I'm not entirely sure why it would be atx to molex for power, but rather 4pin female molex from psu to the 4pin male molex on the hub. I would assume its because you are trying to power it with the atx 4 pin cpu voltage connector. Could be wrong though. Only powered extra fans with chasis fan pins and molex, never with the cpu 4 pin atx.

Gam3r01

Titan
Can you post a picture of exactly how you have this setup?
What model power supply are you using?

You should just take a molex cable straight from the power supply right into the fan hub, no adapters needed.

Paperdoc

Glorious
Ambassador
The 4-pin Molex SUPPLY connector is always female. The device that USES the power always has a MALE input connector, as your fan Hub does. You are doing it backwards, so no wonder you get no power. The 4-pin ATX socket on your mobo is to INPUT power to the board for a particular component; it is NOT an OUTPUT to provide power to some accessory.

The power to your fan Hub should be from a PSU 4-pin Molex FEMALE connector. You have a Molex Splitter that can convert that PSU output into 2 outputs, but I don't see why you need it unless you are short of Molex output connectors.

By the way, that Hub is labelled as a "PWM 3-pin ..." device. It is not. It has NO conponents to do anyting involving the PWM system of fan control. It uses the older 3-pin fan system in which the VOLTAGE supplied to each fan on its Pin #2 is varied to change fan speed. In this Hub the variance is done by the manual switch. It gives you the choice of three fan speeds: High, Low, and Off.

Jun 20, 2020

Thank you very much. I can see now that should have been clear to me but when learning hands-on by your lonesome you're bound to make silly mistakes... Appreciate it all!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS