Question Am I properly configuring my AP?

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I recently connected a second router to my network and have been having problems with randomly losing internet connection on the network. It would happen spontaneously and return spontaneous across my phone, tv, and other devices connected via wifi.

I configured the AP (second router) by turning off DHCP and grouped the 2.4 & 5ghz channels together using the same ssid name as the main router. Is this the correct way? Do I even need to set wifi ssid on the AP or will that occur automatically when DHCP is disabled? The AP is connected to the router via cat6 from port 1 of the router and port 1 of the AP.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I recently connected a second router to my network and have been having problems with randomly losing internet connection on the network. It would happen spontaneously and return spontaneous across my phone, tv, and other devices connected via wifi.

I configured the AP (second router) by turning off DHCP and grouped the 2.4 & 5ghz channels together using the same ssid name as the main router. Is this the correct way? Do I even need to set wifi ssid on the AP or will that occur automatically when DHCP is disabled? The AP is connected to the router via cat6 from port 1 of the router and port 1 of the AP.

Thanks!
Just be sure that "port 1" is a LAN port on the AP.
Do wired clients on the AP have problems or just WIFI ?

Jun 26, 2023
Check that your network cable is connected correctly, with one end connected to the LAN port of the main router and the other end connected to the WAN port of the sub router.

Jun 26, 2023
If you are using two LAN ports to connect, you need to go to the sub router to modify the IP address of the LAN port, for example, to 192.168.1.254, which acts as a switch at this time.

kanewolf

Titan
If you are using two LAN ports to connect, you need to go to the sub router to modify the IP address of the LAN port, for example, to 192.168.1.254, which acts as a switch at this time.
Yes, the IP address of the router as AP needs to be changed to ensure that there is no confusion with gateway routing on clients. The IP needs to be outside the DHCP range of the primary router but in the same subnet (first three sets of digits).

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
It works well when it works but it drops occasionally. I haven't tried wired set up to see.if it occurs but i will try that tonight and see if the internet drops.

TRENDING THREADS