[SOLVED] Am i reflashing this board correctly? GA-x58-u3dr

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
I have a Gigabyte GA-x58-u3dr that I'm trying to do a bios re-flash and it all started as so.

I received the pc from my work for free non working it was built custom for my work years ago for cad drawings and my other brother is looking for his own pc for a sim racing rig and i thought it would work out great if I got it to work lol. So the pc when i got it would just power cycle constantly (Power on for like 1.5sec and then it would switch back off, Then switch back on rinse and repeat) so I got to work and removed the bios battery and held the clear cmos button on the rear io and then it stopped cycling the next time I powered it on.

At this point I remember hearing these motherboards having a bios issue that this is a symptom of and so I re-flashed the bios with the good old Ch134a chip programmer, and yes I know this motherboard has a backup bios for this situation but I wanted to give it a try.

after doing so it went right back to power cycling just like when i first got it, so I'm unsure if I flashed an incorrect bios version/type, or just did it incorrectly. Also it would be great to know how to use the programmer correctly instead of just winging it most of the time

Solution
Generally you would use the motherboard to flash the chip if it is stable enough. If it has a secondary bios, there should be a way to switch to it. I would give it a try, then update the BIOS normally, also doesn't hurt to reset to defaults after doing so, sometimes an upgrade will try to carry over settings (though I don't think that would apply that far back)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally you would use the motherboard to flash the chip if it is stable enough. If it has a secondary bios, there should be a way to switch to it. I would give it a try, then update the BIOS normally, also doesn't hurt to reset to defaults after doing so, sometimes an upgrade will try to carry over settings (though I don't think that would apply that far back)

Solution

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Yes the motherboard has a dual bios but there is no way to access this bios it is only there as a backup incase something were to go wrong it isnt one i can just switch to
Did you save a backup before writing?

You could use my guide.

Also whats up vov4ik_il you gave me a hand trying to diagnose what was wrong with an R9 390x that had a short sending all the pins on the 6 pin connector to ground never got back to try fixing that card

Reactions: vov4ik_il

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Sorry i made a simple mistake 🤦‍♂️ I never removed the bios battery prior to programming the chip in turn scrambling the data being transfered to the chip the board works fine now thank you lol atleast the board is now fixed lol

Reactions: vov4ik_il