[SOLVED] Am i running dual channel?

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone,
I've an old pc, which has 7GB ram ddr2 -667mhz
i have DIMMs of 2gb, 2gb, 2gb and 1gb
but the thing is in CPU-Z ,every 2gb stick has memory channel written as Dual but the 1gb has single so it would make all other rams running at single channel? is my pc is running with single channel memory channel?
I've 2x2gb sticks crucials and 2gb and 1gb are hynix . DIMM 1&2 are crucial's and DIMM 3&4 Hynix.
I know they are mixed up couldn't find the same sticks,
Anyway is there any other info i missed or forgot to mention?
Thankss

Apr 6, 2020
Hello JackFive,

I do not think you are running dual-channel, because it is a very big mistake to put ram from other manufacturers and other capacities into the same PC. This could cause system malfunction. I think that's why CPU-Z is saying that you do not have dual-channel, because of the DIMMs being different.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello JackFive,

I do not think you are running dual-channel, because it is a very big mistake to put ram from other manufacturers and other capacities into the same PC. This could cause system malfunction. I think that's why CPU-Z is saying that you do not have dual-channel, because of the DIMMs being different.

so if i remove the 1gb stick ,Would it be the same situation again? im not sure if i will gain performance or not at some points.?
Can you tell is there anyway to check single and dual channel?
Thanks for replying.

Apr 6, 2020
so if i remove the 1gb stick ,Would it be the same situation again? im not sure if i will gain performance or not at some points.?
Can you tell is there anyway to check single and dual channel?
Thanks for replying.

If you remove the 1GB stick, it will be the same. To have dual-channel, you need either two of the same DIMMs, or all DIMMs the same. You can check if it is single or dual-channel on CPU-Z. Remember, for the correct position of the DIMMs, consult your motherboard's manual.

I'll usually check this using hwinfo. Generally, you will be limited to single channel if you have an odd number of memory modules. However, this being said, I have an HP laptop that will let me run dual channel with 3 modules, so it depends. Also, reporting as dual or single channel vs the actual performance may be two different things, so I would confirm using a memory test program like memtest that displays your memory bandwidth during the test.

Simple test for you is to remove all modules, only installing 2 in a dual channel configuration according to your motherboard manual. Check hwinfo and run its memory benchmark and note the number. Run memtest and note the speed. Then add back just the single 1gb module and repeat the tests. If your speeds stay the same, it still runs dual. If they drop, then you are being forced into single channel mode.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Okay so i removed the 1gig model but it was still asymmetric so i didn't bother benchmarking or checking performance... i think i will have to use same models and that isn't possible for me.. i will use this system like this is working anyway.. more slow(7gb) memory is probably better than fast less(4gb) memory.
Using this system till i get new one.. thanks guys.