Am I screwed??? PC may have died

eronenris

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
I was sitting in the office near my computer, I did not touch anything. It randomly restarted and then would not boot, it was frozen at the ASUS boot screen right as the pc boots up. I restarted it from there and it made it past that screen and it gives me a message.

BOOTMGR is missing
Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

I do that and it shows me the same screen. I tried powering the pc off and it still does the same thing.

What are my options? Is the HDD toast? Is there any way to recover all my music/pics/etc?

G

I had this issue awhile ago. I believe you're supposed to use the windows installation disk to fix it. It still detects that there is a OS on there its just that the BOOTMGR is missing(and other important things I am guessing) You could put the HDD into another pc with a functional OS and get the files that way. I believe I had to reinstall windows. This is from my personal experience

eronenris

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
So after further research I found that my primary HDD is toast. I try and boot from it using the holding F8 trick, it worked the first time but it was booting super slow and before it could fully load windows it restarted again. So I went into my bios to try and fix the boot priorities and it doesn't even show that primary drive as a selectable option.

So I tried to use the F8 trick once again and the second time around it said

A disk read error occured
Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

So at this point I know I need a new drive. My question is, is there any way I can recover the data from this disk at this point?