[SOLVED] Am i screwed?

Dec 30, 2020
Hey, so I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my first build. Namely getting the motherboard in the case, I just looked at the bottom of my motherboard and found this. Is my motherboard toast? The only way I can think of it happening is from sliding it to get the motherboard standoffs to be visible through the screw holes

Motherboard is the MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Max Pro Wifi

https://ibb.co/QMz4X6C

Last edited:
Solution
Nothing was turned on, I just believe the scratch got there when i was trying to move the motherboard while inside the case to have the standoffs be visible
I'm just guessing that this won't be a problem. I kind of like what Mr.Spock suggested, clean it off with an alcohol swab. Probably a fluid intended for cleaning monitor screens would be better though if you have something designed for monitor cleaning (alcohol can lead to cracking on some plastics after a long period of time...I do not think a PCB has an issue with that, but still, monitor cleaning fluids might be better).
Hard to say, but if power was off and that is just a bit of physical abrasion, then I'd say it could work without any problem. If that was the result of power being applied to the wrong spot, then it might be time for a motherboard funeral. You did not mention anything about how that mark got there.

Dec 30, 2020
Hard to say, but if power was off and that is just a bit of physical abrasion, then I'd say it could work without any problem. If that was the result of power being applied to the wrong spot, then it might be time for a motherboard funeral. You did not mention anything about how that mark got there.
Nothing was turned on, I just believe the scratch got there when i was trying to move the motherboard while inside the case to have the standoffs be visible

Dec 30, 2020
Doesn't look that bad. Some crap near the location for the standoff? Was there arcing or black film on the board?

Was there a large washer that touched (grounded) the traces to the right?
If I know what you’re talking about, then (in my opinion) the motherboard has a lot of padding, I’ve noticed that it sticks to the anti static bag, as for the washer, I’m not sure

I'm just guessing that this won't be a problem. I kind of like what Mr.Spock suggested, clean it off with an alcohol swab. Probably a fluid intended for cleaning monitor screens would be better though if you have something designed for monitor cleaning (alcohol can lead to cracking on some plastics after a long period of time...I do not think a PCB has an issue with that, but still, monitor cleaning fluids might be better).

Solution

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Hey, so I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my first build. Namely getting the motherboard in the case, I just looked at the bottom of my motherboard and found this. Is my motherboard toast? The only way I can think of it happening is from sliding it to get the motherboard standoffs to be visible through the screw holes

Motherboard is the MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Max Pro Wifi

https://ibb.co/QMz4X6C
As far as I can tell, those metal contact points are just grounding points for your mobo to ground to your case and then PSU. You pobably just scraped off the contact point while inserting. Nothing to worry about. Done this many times and all boards stil work. Just clean it of and power it on. Should work with no issues.