Am i seriously going to have to buy a dvi cable just for t his?

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I got rid of all my old computer sh!t. I got rid of VGA cables, and i sold my last DVI cable with my 6870 as i did not expect that to actually access this wonderful technology (yeah right) of HDMI, you still need a sh!tty cord from 10 years ago to set it up. Which really, is just plan unacceptable considering i spent all day tracking down a good priced HDMI cord just to find out, that my frikking computer boots with a blank screen, despite being connected to my new gtx 560ti through mini hdmi. I still have the ATI drivers on the PC because i was using my integrated graphics while i was waiting for my 560ti but i doubt thats the problem. The problem is simply, that the video card does not automatically recognize that HDMI is being used, unlike the DVI ports which in my experience have never ever required any fiddling to get the computer to recognize the dam thing.

Anyway, so right now i have no way of using my computer unless i buy a 30 dollar 10 year old ancient bit of hardware, just so i can use my new spruced up cable. What a joke, there has got to be someway around this?

larkspur

Distinguished

Wow, nice rant. HDMI got popular starting in 06. It has been available since 04. That would make it 7 years old. DisplayPort is all the rage since the 1.2 spec supports daisy-chaining multiple monitors.

my frikking computer boots with a blank screen, despite being connected to my new gtx 560ti through mini hdmi.

Are you saying you can't even see the BIOS screen or the OS or both?

If its just the OS then you need to boot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper.

The problem is simply, that the video card does not automatically recognize that HDMI is being used, unlike the DVI ports

Is there a design limitation on your card that explains why you think your new card can't output through HDMI? If you can see your BIOS then your card is outputting to HDMI fine. If not then you either aren't hooking it up right, aren't selecting the proper monitor input, or have a defective graphics card. What kind of monitor or monitors are you using?

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
yeah thats the thing, i do not see anything, no bios, have tried it on two HD monitors to no avail. The thing that is annoying about it is that its just totally undocumented about what does what. I totally expect it to work as soon as i get a DVI cord, but just for some silly reason they chose to forego a sensor in that region.

I did have a suspicion that i would be faced with this problem, but i just thought "nah no way imagine how many noobs out there would be dumbfounded if this actually was a problem"

turns out it is a problem, and its retarded

i really dont think that they would do this, it sounds like a defective card to me :p but can your order from newegg/amazon, if not you could always buy the dvi cable then return it the next day just to test if it works and make up some BS story like you bought the wrong cable or somethin :p

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
oh so at least my card is not dead, but i still had to dish out 30 bucks on a cable oh wellz. The settings in the bios had been changed to detect onboard video, so it wouldn't of mattered what cord i was using, it would never of worked.

Anyway, i have to say straight away i could tell that the Asus DCUII 560ti was so much better quality than my old gigabyte 6870. The fans felt tight and the card looked so nice. Also i am noticing a lot less range between my high and low FPS, where on my ATI card it would be going up and down all over the place.

Also colours look a little more vibrant too.

edit: I will never be so assuming again, PC's are the best because of their open ended format