[SOLVED] Am I stupid or is this deal saving too much $$$ for me not to wonder?

May 28, 2022
I am a novice trying to put together a new pc and while looking for combo deals, I ran across this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4498968
  • Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X (DD5R) motherboard
  • Aorus 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288 Pin RAM DDR5 5200 (PC5 41600)
Total: $299.98 bundled
Savings: $180

What am I missing here? Because on paper in and my inexperienced brain, this looks like a steal. It has you saving 3 to 4 times as much as almost any other deal in 9 pages of its category (Intel 12th Gen, 4 slots DIMM with 128GB max):
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=bundles+motherboard+combo&N=100007627 601394320 601302884 600008642&isdeptsrh=1&page=1

Why is this such a good deal? Is it something with the specific board or the memory? Cause I cant see it

Thanks

Solution
the mobo itself is $220 so that's $80 for at least $200 worth of ram.

so yah that's def gets you thinking it is too good to be true. i don't know anything about gigabyte ram so that might be the kicker. i'd look into the ram and see what kind of reviews it got it any.

then may as well check some mobo reviews just to be sure it isn't a crappy board

same ram but dif mobo for almost the same savings
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4498966

so might be a GB promo going on.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the mobo itself is $220 so that's $80 for at least $200 worth of ram.

so yah that's def gets you thinking it is too good to be true. i don't know anything about gigabyte ram so that might be the kicker. i'd look into the ram and see what kind of reviews it got it any.

then may as well check some mobo reviews just to be sure it isn't a crappy board

same ram but dif mobo for almost the same savings
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4498966

so might be a GB promo going on.

Reactions: Beans Franklin
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
other thing is it is a newegg combo deal so it is legit. if it was some unknown 3rd party seller, i'd be weary.

but if you are in the market, it is a heck of a price based on a quick look i did. sometimes though the price is so nice you don't do the rest of the homework.

for instance is a $220 mobo needed? can a $150 one do for your needs? if so you'd save more without the combo. i've been drawn in myself a couple times by these and ended up overspending to get the good price. if that makes sense

Reactions: Beans Franklin
May 28, 2022
other thing is it is a newegg combo deal so it is legit. if it was some unknown 3rd party seller, i'd be weary.

but if you are in the market, it is a heck of a price based on a quick look i did. sometimes though the price is so nice you don't do the rest of the homework.

for instance is a $220 mobo needed? can a $150 one do for your needs? if so you'd save more without the combo. i've been drawn in myself a couple times by these and ended up overspending to get the good price. if that makes sense
That is exactly what is going on here

I originally was thinking of spending $130 for a MSI Pro B660M-A motherboard and maybe another $110 for DDR4 3200 Ram, so about $140. However, I look over to see this combo and for like $60 more, the upgrade makes me feel like either it is too good to be true or I am an idiot if I dont take the deal. I just didnt want to buy the mobo or ram, only to find out that they were poor products

My top concern is looking at what temperatures this will run and I am going through reviews right now

That is exactly what is going on here

I originally was thinking of spending $130 for a MSI Pro B660M-A motherboard and maybe another $110 for DDR4 3200 Ram, so about $140. However, I look over to see this combo and for like $60 more, the upgrade makes me feel like either it is too good to be true or I am an idiot if I dont take the deal. I just didnt want to buy the mobo or ram, only to find out that they were poor products

My top concern is looking at what temperatures this will run and I am going through reviews right now
If legit, both parts are good. MB may be overboard for some low end CPU which you plan to use for long time but gives you best options for top end CPU, now or for an upgrade.
Same goes for RAM, DDR5 is going to get faster and cheaper in short time. Actual make of RAM doesn't mater much, although there are probably hundreds of makers, in actuality there are very few chip makers that all of them are using as well as many just (re)branded differently. Compatibility is all that counts.

Reactions: Why_Me