[SOLVED] Am I testing PSU w/ multimeter properly?

May 15, 2020
My PC won't turn on, but the motherboard lights up. It has the symptoms of a failing PSU, so I wanted to verify by checking it with a multimeter. For the sake of convenience, I left the PSU inside the system but unplugged everything from it except the 24-pin cable, of which I tested.

I've seen a lot of different methods, but what I did was

-Unplug every system from PSU, leaving only the 24-pin cable for Motherboard inserted into the PSU but unplugged from the actual Mobo for probing

-Digital multimeter measuring Volts on DC setting
-Short 24 pin connector by inserting paper clip into green and black wire (Pin 16 and 17)

-Placed the ground probe of the multimeter in any of the black pins, then inserted the red probe into the various colored pins

My readings using this method were very low, almost zero for all the reds, and anywhere of ~0.5 to 2.5V for the rest... all of which were extremely low in proportion to the typical output. The only exception was the purple +5VSB pin, which gave the correct voltage output. Of course, bad readings are to be expected with a potentially failing PSU but I just need to be certain.

The PSU in question is a 5-year old EVGA Supernova 850 G2 80+ Gold.

I just wanted to make sure this method was correct so that I know that I can go ahead with getting the PSU replaced!!

Solution
Manual testing of a psu is useful only to confirm a dead psu.
It does nothing to confirm proper operation.

First of all, double check that all cables are fully seated.

If you can, test with a known good psu.

Your psu has a 10 year warranty if you took the time to register it with EVGA.
Regardless, I would contact EVGA support.
They likely will simply replace your unit.
Manual testing of a psu is useful only to confirm a dead psu.
It does nothing to confirm proper operation.

First of all, double check that all cables are fully seated.

If you can, test with a known good psu.

Your psu has a 10 year warranty if you took the time to register it with EVGA.
Regardless, I would contact EVGA support.
They likely will simply replace your unit.

Solution