Am I too greedy for wanting 1440p?

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I sort of would like the extra space for productivity....yeah right. But I also just think maybe 1440p or 4k is too much and my 1080p is plenty for gaming. I am also thinking that in two years the monitor will have dropped a hell of a lot in price (so I will lose money)?

Monitors are really an example of diminishing returns in my view. The jump from 1080 to 1440 will be less noticeable than from 1080 to 720 despite similar difference in numbers. LCD manufacturing is probably not going to improve too much. So if you can find a good deal and have the money an 1440p monitor is a decent upgrade but if your other parts won't perform so well(noticeably worse) at 1440 than you will be happier with a smooth 1080p than a stuttering 1440.

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
@jaytechgaming - More! I saw that Bill Gates uses 3 monitors and apparently a study showed that productivity increases with multiple monitors. Ofcourse I would want a multi monitor set up if my productivity increases. I will look into that ty.

@CompSecGuy - Interesting. I never have the money but I always seem to end up getting the upgrade and somehow I get by :p I have a 390x so 1440p should be a nice place to be. I thought about 4k, I know the 390x handles many games well at 4k but going forward I doubt it will (it can't really do witcher 3 at 4k for instance. I also am unsure as to whether you are able to easily change to a 1440p resolution on a 4k monitor (which I would need to do for working and also some gaming). I read somewhere that it looks bad.