Am not able to assign a name to an ext HDD which I can't see on Explorer

Marios_6

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hey guys,
I have a mac formatted external Seagate Expansion drive and I'm trying to open it on my Probook. I can see it in Device Manager but there when I right click there is no option for assigning a letter name to it.
The external HDD is not showing on Disk Management where there is an option to assign a letter to drives

What am I doing wrong?

HP Probook 4330s
Windows 7, 64 bit, 8GB RAM

Solution
Welcome to the community, Marios!

Unfortunately, Mac formatted drives (in HFS+ file system) are not readable by Windows OS systems. :( You won't be able to assign a drive letter through Device Manager, in order to do that you will need to get the HDD recognized in Disk Management. Since you cannot do that, you should access the external through a Mac OS X computer and backup any important data that you have stored on it. Once it's safe and sound, attempt to reformat it from the Mac OS X and make sure you use a file system that is readable and accessible from Windows OS (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT).

Reformatting will require you to erase all the files on the hard drive, so make sure you back them up before changing the file system.

Keep me...
Welcome to the community, Marios!

Unfortunately, Mac formatted drives (in HFS+ file system) are not readable by Windows OS systems. :( You won't be able to assign a drive letter through Device Manager, in order to do that you will need to get the HDD recognized in Disk Management. Since you cannot do that, you should access the external through a Mac OS X computer and backup any important data that you have stored on it. Once it's safe and sound, attempt to reformat it from the Mac OS X and make sure you use a file system that is readable and accessible from Windows OS (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT).

Reformatting will require you to erase all the files on the hard drive, so make sure you back them up before changing the file system.

Keep me posted if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution