Am2+/Am3 microATX motherboards (2007-ish)

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

Haha okay, I'm not really into the game. I just want to be able to play som games like Half Life 2 + expansions and Portal and so (not on full settings - I can go medium or low if thats necessary). Maybe some Bioshock too?? ... or Crysis.... haha

I have an old HP Pavillion media PC I have fun upgrading. I bought a Seasonic m12ii 520 PSU and a used Geforce 8800 GTS 640 (g80). The motherboard I have now is Asus m2n68-la (narra2) with and AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+. I think the motherboard is faulty because I have had graphic problems with both the old crappy graphics card (Geforce 8400 GS 256mb) and now problems with the 8800 gts too. Maybe its the graphic cards or maybe it is the motherboard. Since I had problems with two cards, I assumed it was the MB, but who really knows??

So I just want to get a decent one for an average amount of money, not for SLI or crossfire installments, just for single card.

HP is notoriously proprietary for these things, you might find yourself doing a some case mod-ing to relocate standoffs to line up card slots and things with industry standard boards.

But your CPU is not very demanding so I should think you could get most any AM2/+/AM3/+ mATX board and it would work well enough, assuming it fits of course. At least you're not going to mount a power-hungry 8 core FX monster in it.

The real problem you might run into though is these boards, being out of production are getting harder to find. You'll either pay a lot or wind up with a used/refurbished unit potentially as bad as what you've got. Or both. It might be better to bite the bullet and get a low-end AM4 board and a Ryzen 2200G processor which should play your titles better than your current GPU. The only real budget-breaker would be the DDR4 memory you'll need.

Your x4 6800+ has a passmark performance rating of 1254 and a single thread rating of 747. abysmal by today's standards.
I do not know your budget, but for $170 or so, you can buy a new G4920 processor for $51 with twice the capability and a rating of 3521 and single thread rating of 1838.
A lga1151 300 H310 motherboard can be as little as $50.
a 2 x 4gb DDR4 ram kit can be about $65.
The nice thing is that the lga1151 motherboard can support up to a i7-8700K as a cpu upgrade.

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

Nice thing with the Ryzen, I will consider that. Firstly, I will try to go with what I have and see what I can do. I found a guy who will send me am2 motherboard for free, sp I can try. Otherwise a will consider Ryzen 3 2200g

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

thank you for your inputs on models and recommendations. I will consider going a bit further if my current system is too low budget.

TRENDING THREADS