doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Are there no SLI boards for AM2+? I'm going to upgrade to an AMD 6400+, and I want to get an AM2+ board so I'll have more room to upgrade later... but I can't find any boards that support SLi and AM2+. Is there such a thing? And if anyone knows of one that's below $150 US can someone post it? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, if the north and south bridges are ATi or AMD, does that mean anything for a single card? Would it still be fine/ideal to put a Nvidia card in it?

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
afaik there is not yet a publicly available nVidia SLI chipset for AM2+ .
I believe that 1 or 2 older 590 chipset mobos may have received a BIOS update for AM2+ though.

For a single gfx card it doesn't matter if it's an ATi card on an nVidia chipset, an nVidia card on an ATI chipset etc. they should work just fine.

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
OK, you can go for an older chipset like me, but forget the new HT 3.0 for AMD Phenom, the CPU are supported but not the bus frequencies of them...
And you will get an SLI Mainboard.There is a total mess with the chipsets (wh buy whom and who support who).

So check this out: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

And you can get a CPU support for every big brand name on their sites (you will have to dig a lot)...

welshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
yer this is what i was thinking.

cause ive bought these parts.

x2 BFG 8800gtx's oc
phenom 9600 quad core
Asus Ai life m2n32-sli.

now my question is there a mother board with twin pcie x16 and can hold a phenom 9600?

just cant find more details on this.