joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I am looking for a heatsink for an Athlon 64 X2 4200+(AM2). I have a Chieftec Dragon server case, so I don't think size is an issue, but I would really rather not have to take everything out to do a bolt through installation, so a clip HS is preferred. The kicker is that I have a 92mm Vantec tornado that I would like to be able to use on the new heatsink, because it moves sooooo much air.

Specs
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
ASUS M2N4-SLi
Chieftec Dragon Server case

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
^^Ditto what he said.[/waits for wusy to scold me]

BUT, I'm not sure your Tornado will work with it as the fan mounting system is quite different than others. It uses small rubber mounts to attach the fan to the heatsink. I'm not certain this design is compatible with other fans so you may not be able to use the Tornado. Even if you could use the rubber mounting system, the Tornado spins at 5700 RPMs and I don't think the mounting system will hold up to the stress generated at startup. However the fan that comes with the heatsink is a very good and quiet fan.

You might want to check the Scythe line of heatsinks. I believe their newer heatsinks use a tool free install and are compatible with AM2.

MapAid

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
^^Ditto what he said.[/waits for wusy to scold me]

BUT, I'm not sure your Tornado will work with it as the fan mounting system is quite different than others. It uses small rubber mounts to attach the fan to the heatsink. I'm not certain this design is compatible with other fans so you may not be able to use the Tornado. Even if you could use the rubber mounting system, the Tornado spins at 5700 RPMs and I don't think the mounting system will hold up to the stress generated at startup. However the fan that comes with the heatsink is a very good and quiet fan.

You might want to check the Scythe line of heatsinks. I believe their newer heatsinks use a tool free install and are compatible with AM2.

Oops! I didn´t check Tornados specs. It would need some modding to attach the fan firmly enough.

I´d recommend Scythe Infinity. If you like to move lots of air replace the included fan with Silverstone FM-121(max 110cfm).

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I´d recommend Scythe Infinity. If you like to move lots of air replace the included fan with Silverstone FM-121(max 110cfm).

As I wrote in another post:

DO NOT buy the Infinity. It's heavy and it broke my retention bracket. The way it hooks onto the motherboard is terrible. All you do is attach two hooks to the side of the heatsink and then attach it to the motherboard. The tabs on the AM2 retention bracket aren't strong enough to hold up the weight of the massive thing. Just a heads up.

mykim01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I just bought a Zalman CNPS9500 AM2. I don't have an AM2 system but a 939. Regardless, the retention clip works on either socket and I love it. The base is polished like a mirror. I replaced my Arctice Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. In addition, it's nickel plated copper so it looks really different and nice. The green LED also adds to the "bling" factor.

Performance wise, I really like the fanmate 2. It gives me the ability to control fan speed manually for when I game. I used plastic ties on the rear top portion of my case to mount it sans the double sided tape.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/mykim01/DSC00695.jpg -> Edited to correct link

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I just bought a Zalman CNPS9500 AM2. I don't have an AM2 system but a 939. Regardless, the retention clip works on either socket and I love it. The base is polished like a mirror. I replaced my Arctice Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.
Ummm...why? :roll:

mykim01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Why not? So far, the performance between the two are similar. However, when I crank up the fan on the Zalman, it does reach a lower temp without shattering any dB records in my room. Besides, when buying the Zalman, I wanted to support my home country :wink: and addition, aesthetically speaking, the Zalman wins.

As for the AC Pro, I'm not going to just toss it aside. I've never lapped a heatsink before and so it will become a little project for me to work on. Then I'll stick that sucker in a test machine I have on the side.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I personally think that's a good idea. I'm a Zalman snob myself...but I won't get the new AM2 cooler because it's too tall, and since I move my desktop back and forth from college quite a bit, I don't want to take the risk on it snapping off.

That would suck.

Plus, I'm using an ATI video card now. *begins ATI vs. nVidia flame war*

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
but I won't get the new AM2 cooler...

Maybe you should read posts all the way through before you call someone on something. Read it over again. I don't have the cooler.

But I have heard that it's a good cooler. Zalman makes reputable products. I've read reviews. All the parts I bought were based on literally hundreds of professional and user reviews.

I'm on a budget, still in college. Not all of us can afford to buy pairs of 15K SCSI drives, or test all that equipment, like you claim to do.

But, I have tested every piece of equipment in my case thoroughly, and every piece has proven itself admirably. So I can feel comfortable recommending every part I do because I like it.

And because I'm on a budget, I can also feel comfortable recommending the parts I bought because they provide very good bang for the buck. You know, that all-important price/performance ratio everyone talks about?

And for the record, had I built my computer within the past month, I would have used a Core 2, but I needed it right then. No, I do not regret the Athlon 64 X2 I have now.

STFU.

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Firstly Hi everyone..new guy here...

Just bought an amd processor. Is the heatsink that comes with it not good enough? Do I have to buy another one?

I am collecting components at the moment to replace my umm Pentium 600 so have the possibility to ge the best mony/performance ratio possible..but there is so much stuff out there it is hard to sift the good from teh rubbish.

So far bought a FX62 , will be buying the Asus crosshair mainboard (based upon reviews on this site) and nvidia 7950 gx2. Given thes emain components ..what powersupply woud be decent for me and cooler/ heatsink recommendation.

I probably will not be doing any overclocking but may dabble a little.

thanks in advance.

rgrds
SL

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
So far Zalman and "bang for the buck" are not compatible. Why spend up to $60.00 for a Zalman product when there are others that perform at 95-99% as good as Zalman's products for about half the cost?

Zalman does not equal "bang for the buck". They make good products but they need to lower their prices before they should be considered.

@SilentLucidity, the stock AMD cooler will work fine for you if you don't plan to do any serious overclocking. The FX series, X2s and dual-core Optys come with decent heat-pipe coolers that work well at stock speeds and moderate overclocking speeds.

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
The FX series, X2s and dual-core Optys come with decent heat-pipe coolers

While I have heard that some if these do, this is not necessarily true, my X2 did not come with a heat pipe cooler, hence the reason I started this thread, to replace it with a higher quality one.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Sorry let me correct myself. AMD only recently started shipping heatpipe coolers. It's possible that you purchased it before they started or you received older stock.

I just bought a S939 X2 4400 about a month and a half ago and it did come with the heatpipe cooler.

Edit: wusy....this forum aint big enough for two WingDings.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
but I won't get the new AM2 cooler...

Maybe you should read posts all the way through before you call someone on something. Read it over again. I don't have the cooler.

But I have heard that it's a good cooler. Zalman makes reputable products. I've read reviews. All the parts I bought were based on literally hundreds of professional and user reviews.

I'm on a budget, still in college. Not all of us can afford to buy pairs of 15K SCSI drives, or test all that equipment, like you claim to do.

But, I have tested every piece of equipment in my case thoroughly, and every piece has proven itself admirably. So I can feel comfortable recommending every part I do because I like it.

And because I'm on a budget, I can also feel comfortable recommending the parts I bought because they provide very good bang for the buck. You know, that all-important price/performance ratio everyone talks about?

And for the record, had I built my computer within the past month, I would have used a Core 2, but I needed it right then. No, I do not regret the Athlon 64 X2 I have now.

STFU.

psst! psst! wusy... hes talking to you...

(I just wanna see him getting pissed lol)

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Nicely explained wusy, thanks.

Back to the AM2 Heatsink topic.
So far, trhu the few reviews ive been able to find, the two best AM2 HSF are:
The Scythe MINE with its sandwiched style.
The slighty overpriced Scythe Infinity.

Wich one do you think does the best at overclocking?? Do you have any more suggestions (please no more zalman 9500)??

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
How much will the Thermalright Ultra-120 cost you (add $10 for the fan)?
Compare that to the price of Scythe Infinity(needs a 1600RPM+ fan to perform well) and Tuniq Tower 120.

The Thermalright Ultra-120 comes at about $3 more and its out of stock on newegg...
The Tuniq Tower 120 isnt avaible (sadly newegg is my only option, long story).
So that leaves me a winner, with this fan.

I just saw the scythe MINE has only 3 heatpipes, so automatically disqualified...

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well ppl, that concludes it then.
The Scythe Infinity paired with a faster (that moves alot of air too) 120mm fan is the way to go for the arguably best air cooling setup for AM2.
Considering the high overclocks yould reach with a setup like this and that you can use the setup as long as youre using AM2, I would say that breaking the piggy bank is worth it in this case.