Not open for further replies.

bmrgold

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I know some AM3 sockets can go into a AM2+ motherboard... this is my current MB

www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2887#sp

I was wondering if this processor would work in it

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962

In the description of my MB it says it supports the following...

Support for Socket AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™ FX processor/ AMD Phenom™ X4 processor/ AMD Phenom™ X3 processor/ AMD Athlon™ X2 processor/ AMD Athlon™ processor/ AMD Sempron™ X2 processor/ AMD Sempron™ processor

I dont see anything on here about supporting a X6 - this MB was probably made before X6 processors were out... do you think it will still support the X6 processor?

Solution
It doesn't support the FX x6 core processor but it supports the phenom II x6. The phenom is the same price and it performs better so your better with that even if it could support the FX x6.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
It doesn't support the FX x6 core processor but it supports the phenom II x6. The phenom is the same price and it performs better so your better with that even if it could support the FX x6.

Solution

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
If you really want to use the FX x6 processor only am3/am3+ boards support it. am3 boards might require you to update their bios which could cause issues with your FX processors. What could happen is that if you install the FX processor to an AM3 board before the bios update it might not start. This would require you to have previous gen processor to power it up then update the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.