AM2+ Mobo help (new build)

Jasondu27

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I am currently in the process of upgrading my current system, and i am at a stand still at the moment. I can not decide what motherboard i should purchase. I have read benchmark after benchmark after review and still am undecided. I am looking for a AM2+ motherboard that is a good overclocker, and preferably with sli support. My primary use for this pc will be a gaming pc. I will be pairing the mother board with a phenom II 940 and 4gbs of 1066 DDR2.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated, and if i forgot to mention anything please let me know i will be more than happy to answer any questions

There's your problem right there. You can't have both. Nvidia chipsets run hot and are known to be less stable than Intel or AMD chipsets.

So, get a 790FX board and run crossfire, or a 790GX board if you need something a bit less costly.

Any AM2+ mb with SLI support will have an nVidia chipset . These dont have a great reputation for anything .
The reason quite simply is that they dont overclock as well and they are not as stable as the AMD chipsets .

So its worth ignoring SLI

Get a mb with a 790 series north bridge and a 750 series south bridge . Buy a reputable brand . I prefer gigabyte and ASUS . Asrock is good and budget , and there are some good reviews of the newer Biostar boards on newegg.

If you must have two gfx cards go crossfire

Well since your primary use is gaming consider the P2X3 720BE if you really tight on $$

$686.39 after plus shipping less MIR
Bio720cf.jpg