[SOLVED] am3 build fx vs phenom

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
just sold the i9 build that i bought for 300$ profit.

now im stuck with an old 4470

alright i’ve always wanted a fx/phenom and one of those cool looking motherboards, keep in mind ill also need some ddr3

so this will be going into my nzxt guardian! for that amazing retro build

i am willing to spend upwards of 150$, might even turn this into a mining rig once i get my 12900k

so what are my choices? honestly im doing am3 because of those beautiful motherboards that’ll look amazing inside my case

you know what? if there is something even better for 150 let me know

Solution
If you're looking to do a retro-build, by all means do it. :) But as long as you understand the performance will be on the lga775 level. Here's a taste of what the single thread performance would be like compared to your most recent i9:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9650/3904vs371vs1782vs1050

With period correct software, it will feel just as fast as any modern system, just not modern. Win98 still flies on my P3, so it's all about a matched system for maximum performance.
AM3 FX/Phenom rigs are some 50-60% slower on a clock for clock basis compared to the most recent AM4 designs.

I'd advise against wasting this money, even if 'only' $150...(it's hard for me to fathom choosing a CPU/mainboard combo based on the belief it will 'look amazing or beautiful'... inside a case. (Save that $150 for inflated GPU prices, as you will need it then)
GOod luck

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
AM3 FX/Phenom rigs are some 50-60% slower on a clock for clock basis compared to the most recent AM4 designs.

I'd advise against wasting this money, even if 'only' $150...(it's hard for me to fathom choosing a CPU/mainboard combo based on the belief it will 'look amazing or beautiful'... inside a case. (Save that $150 for inflated GPU prices, as you will need it then)
GOod luck
then what can i get for 150?

If you're looking to do a retro-build, by all means do it. :) But as long as you understand the performance will be on the lga775 level. Here's a taste of what the single thread performance would be like compared to your most recent i9:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9650/3904vs371vs1782vs1050

With period correct software, it will feel just as fast as any modern system, just not modern. Win98 still flies on my P3, so it's all about a matched system for maximum performance.

Reactions: lordmogul
Solution

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021

idk i’ve seen that i can make profit by flipping builds so i’m always trying to buy at an instant sell price. so if ppl want 500, i offer 200 since who in the world needs a 6700k 32gb and other garbage for 300-500 when you can build a 3700x for 500 you know?

ppl trying to sell 9900k for 500-700 is hilarious when you can build an awesome 11700k for 700

i literally offer ppl a realistic price especially with 12 series and holiday sales coming up

like 9700k with mobo and ram in all honesty is worth 150$, im simply not paying more.

i realized that with proper wording, marketing you can sell your stuff really fast

might actually build a 11700k, 3700x and sell it with my 6600xt for profit

what cpu do you think i should pair with 6600xt?

idk i’ve seen that i can make profit by flipping builds so i’m always trying to buy at an instant sell price. so if ppl want 500, i offer 200 since who in the world needs a 6700k 32gb and other garbage for 300-500 when you can build a 3700x for 500 you know?

ppl trying to sell 9900k for 500-700 is hilarious when you can build an awesome 11700k for 700

i literally offer ppl a realistic price especially with 12 series and holiday sales coming up

like 9700k with mobo and ram in all honesty is worth 150$, im simply not paying more.

i realized that with proper wording, marketing you can sell your stuff really fast

might actually build a 11700k, 3700x and sell it with my 6600xt for profit

what cpu do you think i should pair with 6600xt?
It's a whole different thing trying to profit on older builds. I don't know anything about the newest stuff--too rich for my blood, lol.

once i made 300$ i was like time to start buying more! 🤢🤮
You have to keep in mind that buying cheaper and selling high is just like any other product business. And once you start doing this more, you'll realize that it doesn't always work out on every sale, you have holding costs, your labor has a cost, etc, etc. It will become a lot less attractive once you start seeing all this.

I used to distribute auto parts and had an entire warehouse. It was nuts that I was selling stuff regularly for double, sometimes triple my cost. But by the time you factored in the holding costs, my labor, etc, I only had 7% of my sales to my bottom line--and this is typical in almost any business as most make at best 10% of their gross sales as net profit.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
You have to keep in mind that buying cheaper and selling high is just like any other product business. And once you start doing this more, you'll realize that it doesn't always work out on every sale, you have holding costs, your labor has a cost, etc, etc. It will become a lot less attractive once you start seeing all this.

I used to distribute auto parts and had an entire warehouse. It was nuts that I was selling stuff regularly for double, sometimes triple my cost. But by the time you factored in the holding costs, my labor, etc, I only had 7% of my sales to my bottom line--and this is typical in almost any business as most make at best 10% of their gross sales as net profit.
yea especially with high end processors they depreciate as soon as next gen hits. like 9900k probably going to be worse than i5 of gen 12.

yea especially with high end processors they depreciate as soon as next gen hits. like 9900k probably going to be worse than i5 of gen 12.
Yep, but a lot of times that's when deals can be found as people will simply dump things to have the new 'shiny'. I remember this happened after the RTX series came out and people were moving from 1060s to the 1650/1660s--you could pick up a 1060 3gb for $75. Today, that's a $300 card. :eek:

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
Yep, but a lot of times that's when deals can be found as people will simply dump things to have the new 'shiny'. I remember this happened after the RTX series came out and people were moving from 1060s to the 1650/1660s--you could pick up a 1060 3gb for $75. Today, that's a $300 card. :eek:🤢🤮
will a amd phenom be obsolete for browsing the web and playing some older games? possibly create a 3 minute video here and there? literally a 50$ build for my nzxt guardian slongside 8gb of ddr2! oh and not to forget 6600xt

just need it for this case specifically cuz its used mostly for burning cds for my car by using real player

oh and not to forget yes this will be a vista pc

just a fun lil pc nothing special

i do however want it not to be garbage, i don’t want it to be do horrible that you can’t browse the web or play crysis warheads

my anthlon was quite good despite being dual core so phenom is definitely better? rofl kind of miss the i9, this 4470 isn’t too good when compared

bout to sell the 4470 too once i get a buyer but i don’t want to sell a phenom/fx cuz it was something that i’ve always wanted. i loved my anthlon so much ima get one of those

im also going to buy a rampage vi extreme if i could find it for 250 because i’ve always wanted one

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
oops 4460
not really familiar with them so i mess the numbers up

In that case, any FX or Phenom CPU will be a downgrade. Which is good news as $0 is the best price! The Phenom IIs were a fun set of CPUs, but they're 3-4 years older than the Haswell CPUs. And the FX series was a complete mess and basically resulted in AMD being completely uncompetitive with Intel for 5-6 years.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
In that case, any FX or Phenom CPU will be a downgrade. Which is good news as $0 is the best price! The Phenom IIs were a fun set of CPUs, but they're 3-4 years older than the Haswell CPUs. And the FX series was a complete mess and basically resulted in AMD being completely uncompetitive with Intel for 5-6 years.
oh yea i’ve seen but at the same time it won’t be too much of a difference?

i just want something that will go with my nzxt guardian build

those all green intel mobos look fugly🤢🤮

i want a bit more color

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
oh yea i’ve seen but at the same time it won’t be too much of a difference?

i just want something that will go with my nzxt guardian build

those all green intel mobos look fugly🤢🤮

i want a bit more color

You do realize that AM3 motherboards weren't inherently differently colored than Haswell motherboards, right?

But in any case, if you're that motivated to make a worse performing PC because the motherboard looks cooler in a decade-old case with a bright glowing fan that does a good job of hiding the motherboard anyway, that's your prerogative, as utterly baffling as it is.