NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Before I start , here are my Specs :
AMD Fx 6300 @ Stock 3.5GHz
asus m5a78l-m le
Single channel 8gb ddr3 1600
gtx 1050 2gb
lc power lc420-12 v2.31 350w psu (in a couple of days I will have the corsair CX550M)

So my question is that my motherboard apparently doesn't have a VRAM headsink which is important to overclocking .
1) Now IF I was able to overclock on it , How far can I go without raising the Voltages ?
2) And is it worth it to upgrade to a better motherboard and a hyper 212 evo ?
Because playing games like Rust, H1z1 seems fine on the cpu but as soon as things start to happen or I am in a big city , the average fps drops from 60 to 52-43
so does overclocking it give me a better outcome ?
Because I can't upgrade right now and If I do upgrade it's gonna take a while .
3) So shall I spend my 100 bucks on overclocking components or should I save it for a better Cpu ?

Solution
if the game is cpu intensive the oc will help.how much remains to be seen.i dont game so cant comment on that,but all in all my computer is pretty fast after the oc.this is getting to be pretty old technology so i wouldnt spent a whole lot of money on it,but a motherboard something like the asus 970 aura is a hundred bucks or so and has the heatsinks you are looking for.this combination is an easy 4.5 ghz oc with a little voltage bump.i think im running at 1.3 volts if im not mistaken.
i have the same processor and all i did was increase the multiplier in the bios until my system crashed.then drop it until it doesnt.then check it with a stress test program like occt.if it passes that you have your maximum overclock on stock voltage.now bump the multiplier a little at a time until it either crashes or wont pass the stress test.then,a little at a time increase your cpu voltage until you have a stable system.its a little concerning that you have no vram heatsink,so you will have to watch those temps.ive heard that a case fan aimed at the vram helps.without a good cooler you wont get far overclocking this chip.mine sits at 4.5ghz stable and im running a 212 evo.hope this gets you started.keep in mind that every time you increase the cpu voltage you increase heat production,and you can almost roast a hotdog on these chips as it is.

NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Oh great thanks for the reply :)
Question tho :
How does this effect both Gaming and rendering speeds ?
Are FPS drops still a problem ?

if the game is cpu intensive the oc will help.how much remains to be seen.i dont game so cant comment on that,but all in all my computer is pretty fast after the oc.this is getting to be pretty old technology so i wouldnt spent a whole lot of money on it,but a motherboard something like the asus 970 aura is a hundred bucks or so and has the heatsinks you are looking for.this combination is an easy 4.5 ghz oc with a little voltage bump.i think im running at 1.3 volts if im not mistaken.

Solution

NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

I think Its better to wait for the Ryzen 3
I don't justify spending a 100 dollars on a 5 year old Cpu :/
I guess I'll have to deal with it till I eventually upgrade !

Thanks for the help :)

NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

NewbDavid

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Ill make sure to do so as soon as I get my new psu
I don't feel like burning my house down just yet :p