Am3+ or Fm2+?

tristan wheeler

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
In the next couple months i am going to be building a higher end gaming PC using amd parts. What i am wondering is if amd is going to be moving everything to the fm2+ platform? I've read multiple webpages saying yes they are in 2015 or 2016 and other ones saying that they are still going to make 1 or maybe two more am3+ processors. so what i need to know is which would be better to get in the long run since i don't want to buy one or the other and then learn in a couple months that they will be releasing a new am3+ chip or that they will stop supporting am3+ chips and will be moving to the fm2+ socket for everything.

Solution
ok, he want to play games on good settings, and fm2+ will not do that...
:sarcastic:

You likely do not want to hear this, Mr Wheelie, but now is not the best of times for a serious investment in hardware -- especially if you will not be building for another 2-3 months.

DDR4 will enter the 'enterprise' -side in 2014 and be introduced into high-end desktop in 1H-2015. This is as major a sea-change in architecture as we have seen in quite some time (I'm going with nearly 20 years -- when "cache" was moved off the mainboard onto the CPU).

Graphics cards from both AMD and nVidia on a new 20nm process will be introduced possibly (hopefully?) by the end of the year. Designs have reached 'tape-out' and folks are simply waiting...

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
My bro's a10 5800k paired with a good gpu the gtx 660ti matched my fps in BF4 ultra 1080p 64man conquest when I tested it the other day. On Shanghai his fps dipped to 35 and mine was 40, hardly worth triple the cost my cpu cost compared to the essentially 75 dollar Athlon x4 750k that his is.

Paired with a good gpu, on a budget, I'd totally go FM2+ with an Athlon 750k or 760k.

I kept hearing months ago of them doing an FM2+ 6 core cpu but that never happened. I believe AM3+ is a dead socket now....

Although with what they've been doing, I wouldn't doubt it if they already come out with an FM3 and then FM3+ socket quickly... there was fm1, then fm2, now fm2+, coming out once a year >_>

gigabyte has a good $80 AM3+ 970 board with an 8+2 powerphase you could pair with an fx8320 or fx6300 and have a good pc

amd is merging their 2 desktop sockets, 99% chance they go to the fm platform, .5% they go with am, .5% they come out with something new. it all depends on how high the settings you want, if you want the highest settings then go either intel or am3+. if you are ok with lower settings, like medium-high, then fm2+ is a good option. and ofc you hear about the newest and greatest cpu's that never come out, like intel's supposed i9 a few years ago XD

tristan wheeler

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Right now im looking at having these in my system

msi lightning 290x

corsair ax860i

1tb hdd

8-16gb of ram

samsung 840 pro boot drive with windows 8.1

possibly custom loop or if i dont do that a noctua nh-d15

so now what i need to know is if i should go intel or fm2+

sr1030nx

Reputable
May 4, 2014
An FX series processor will work just fine for the next coupler years even if AMD is not releasing newer versions of it.
If your on a budget an fx6350 or fx8350 will be just fine, if you have the cash, a i7 or higher end i5 is better.

popatim

Titan
AM3+ is almost dead and slated for end of life in Q1 of 2015 though the current line of process will be available for quite sometime.

If you buy an fx8300 series cpu now you will not have much of an upgrade path in the future.
If you buy am FM2+ system you will have no use for the integrated GPU but will have an upgrade path for a while.

tristan wheeler

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

will they be making higher performance fm2+ cpus eventually?

tristan wheeler

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

sorry about that i checked it and it worked for me last night but not this morning,

it was pretty much an msi gaming board with an x4 760k and r9 290x lightning on it

ok, he want to play games on good settings, and fm2+ will not do that...
:sarcastic:

You likely do not want to hear this, Mr Wheelie, but now is not the best of times for a serious investment in hardware -- especially if you will not be building for another 2-3 months.

DDR4 will enter the 'enterprise' -side in 2014 and be introduced into high-end desktop in 1H-2015. This is as major a sea-change in architecture as we have seen in quite some time (I'm going with nearly 20 years -- when "cache" was moved off the mainboard onto the CPU).

Graphics cards from both AMD and nVidia on a new 20nm process will be introduced possibly (hopefully?) by the end of the year. Designs have reached 'tape-out' and folks are simply waiting for the foundry (TSMC) to refine the node for higher chip yields.

So ... yee rolls yer dice and yee takes yer chances with a new build these days :D understanding in less than 12 months it could be destined for the dustbin of history ...

Solution

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
DDR4 will just bring higher speeds though right? It's default will start at like 2133mhz and then go up from there, and ram speed really doesn't matter for gaming, it would help the APUs though.

There's people still gaming fine on DDR2 by the droves I'd imagine. And I use "slow" ddr3 1333mhz and play BF4 on ultra fine.

DDR4 is a serial 'point-to-point' connection at up to twice the data rates of DDR3, and there will be no more dual-, triple-, or quad-channel memory. Hardware components may have their own designated memory-space (hence, AMD's HSA and 'unified memory addressing' accessible via CPU or GPU cores) which also require design changes as they may be organized by centralized memory management (or in AMD's case, the "IOMMU").

DDR4 sticks also have the capability of greater density than DDR3.

WarCrysis

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I can tell you dont know much about the hardware avalible and what you need to have a game run on high settings at a good FPS. to start off beyond belief you dont need to break the bank. 10 years ago yes. buying the best got you the best. now a days buying a 100$ cpu is normal if you just play games and use spotify / watch movies / surf the web...

I to agree right now is a crappy time to build a exspensive desktop. DDR4 is coming, just a day ago or so AMD announced a new high end FX line of CPU's for release in about two years.. more then likely that means FM3 soccet chip sets. DDR4 support, Maybe actually compete with intel. Lets hope.... but right now dont buy high dollar stuff if your smart. a new age is upon us : )

Here is my solution and what i would do... Buy high quality parts, not the parts your thinking of though. Spend good money on the stuff im listing..
-Corsair 850w Powersupply- or other high quality PSU
-Corsair Case- Again or other high quality case (lin-li)
-SSD 256GB - 512GB- Research in to them and get a good ONe! worth every penny ( optional )
-3TB western digital red or black hard drive
-BluRay Drive- not the burner, just the reader. this will burn dvds and cds. just not BR's... who needs that.

and for Mobo, Cpu, Ram, if i was going FM2+ or AM3+ id get
cheaper gigabyte AMD motherboard
Upto 120$ AMD cpu
8 - 16b DDR3 1600
and a AMD 280x/270x

You will sell this hardware with in two years when you buy a DDR4 system. I believe amd is a better company. more cost effective and a good buy.

I also think Inter is a crappy company i the way the do buisness, a crappy company with the fastest parts.

Nvidia is a good company too, Nvidia and AMD are neck to neck.

you will play games on high, do what you want to do on a very modern and fast system. wait and build a beast. buy half the nice stuff now. wait a couple replace the parts that matter with high end stuff. with a 6core and 280x you will play high/max settings games out for the next couple years. even a cheaper 270x would rock it.

on a side not, i have a 8350 and 280x... lol idk what people are talking about. i have crysis 3 maxed out.. BF4 maxed out.. for the casual gamer on a budget... it doesnt matter or make you anybetter at the game. also as a gamer i play alot of older games.. some newer ones.. that are worth my time... as if that happens often. i play alot of CSGO and BF4, DOTA 2, and an extensive games list on steam and origin... no need to list the like 100 games i have.. cause i can play all of them at max everything.

roll like a smart kid. buy budget hardware and prepare for the new age dude.

tristan wheeler

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

after reading that ive decided to go with a single 270x and an x4 760k on the msi gaming g45 and then sell the system in 2 years when all the new amd stuff is out

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I'd just build an fx 8320 system with the asus 970 r2.0 motherboard, an r9 280x, 8gb of ram, and hyper 212 evo, or if you really want the noctua go for it. And a 650w good psu and you're good, you really don't need to overspend so much, it doesn't take TOO much to play stuff on ultra at 1080p

yup, if you are gunna sell it or use it for some other purpose in 2 years, get either a 6300 or 8320. then, in 2 years you can get a new cpu/apu, an fm3 board (maybe, idk what the name will be) ddr4 ram, and bee good to go, OR maybe intel will have something to offer for the same performance as a fm3 cpu for about the same cost, idk, maybe a high end i3 or low-mid end i5.