Status
Not open for further replies.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
As we all are now aware AMD's new bulldozer architecture will not run on AM3 and will require the new AM3+ socket. I have heard rumors that the first bulldozer CPU's known as Zambezi will be out in Q4 2010, but i have also heard they will be a year late. That being said the new socket is going to be backwards compatible with current AM3 CPU's so is it likely we will get the new socket soon? It would seem like a smart move for AMD to release the new socket now so people like myself who are looking to build now don't wait until next year but build with a current CPU and can upgrade next year. Is this likely to happen???

Cheers

Solution
well, apparently Snady Bridge will be out in a matter of months, so id say Bulldozer would be out soon afterwards...
the main thing that worries me is what will the prices be?

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
well, apparently Snady Bridge will be out in a matter of months, so id say Bulldozer would be out soon afterwards...
the main thing that worries me is what will the prices be?

Solution

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

Well if your cheap like me you may want to buy a good motherboard and a decent CPU(X6 1050T), then in a year when bulldozer has come down a bit in price be able to just chuck it in your mobo without having to worry about compatibility or OS issues. To me in seems silly to set up a whole new rig with an AM3 socket knowing that you are unlikely to be able to upgrade the CPU.

According to some sources AMD has delayed Bulldozer until Q4 2011. It was slated for Q2 2011 but the 32nm fabrication process GloFlo is working on is having a few problems they need to sort out. Most likley its a problem with yields since I think AMD is still using SOI and adding HK/MG too it in 32nm.

Who knows until AMD says something concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.