AM3 SLI Support??

Why is the choice of AM3 SLI boards so limited and does the future look brighter?

I'm thinking about an AM3 + 6 core upgrade but want to run 2x 460GTX.

I don't want Xfire as I use my 460's for Folding.

I'm in no hurry but am just asking whats my best choice at the minute and is it worth waiting?

Thanks all. [:bohleyk:1]

Solution
The Intel equivalent would probably be a P55 board with the i5 760. It should be priced pretty much the same, and will be faster then the 1090 in games. The 1090 will be better in a few apps that scale with cores, but overall the 760 is faster.

The i7 920/930 is also priced pretty close to the 1090, but the boards are more expensive.

CuSpade

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

BTW the reason why AMD mobo's do not support SLI is because AMD is teamed up with ATI, have you never heared of AMD/ATI.

I've always had AMD boards, not that I'm anti Intel just the only Intel board I tried was sold after a few weeks of tinkering, the highly reviewed P5B Deluxe, it just annoyed me.

I would be interested in the Intel equivalent of say a 790FX with a 1090T at the moment and the price comparison from someone who knows as I'm not to hot on the Intel lineup. :pfff:

If money was no object I would obviously go for the absolute top spec but money is an issue although I'll always pay a bit more if the right choice is that bit more worth it.

Well as I said I'm in no hurry so the budget can be planned when I find out my options. ;)

I don't buy cheap and I like to OC if that helps.

BTW the reason why AMD mobo's do not support SLI is because AMD is teamed up with ATI, have you never heared of AMD/ATI.

Yeah ATI do graphics cards don't they. :lol: No I did realise that this was the reason for the great Xfire chipsets, just surprised that Nvidea hadn't come back with more options. Like I've already said I'd prefer some Intel options as I'm pretty clued up with the AMD options, I just imagine the Intels being a bit pricey.

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
The Intel equivalent would probably be a P55 board with the i5 760. It should be priced pretty much the same, and will be faster then the 1090 in games. The 1090 will be better in a few apps that scale with cores, but overall the 760 is faster.

The i7 920/930 is also priced pretty close to the 1090, but the boards are more expensive.

Solution
^Seems to have everything but still not sure about the 980a chipset, and I don't like the look of it. :(

Been doing a bit of research and seen that some of the X58 chipsets support SLI and XFire.

The more I discover the more complicated it gets. :pt1cable:

So I'm gonna stick with what I've got at the mo as after looking into it I'd like my next move to be towards an X58 with a 6 core i7 so I'm gonna save up some cash and wait for the 980X to drop to £100 / $155. :lol:

Thanks for the input. [:bohleyk:1]