Question AM3+ was put in AM3 without breaking a pin, will the CPU still work in AM3+ slot?

Dec 31, 2019
I placed AM3+ CPU inside AM3 socket (no pin was broken!), and powered the PC (which didn't boot).
Will the CPU still work in a AM3+ socket (on another motherboard)?

Dec 31, 2019
should still work in AM3+ motherboard.
did you check to see if the motherboard support the cpu?
Thank you for the quick answer!

Yes, the alternative motherboard does support this CPU (talking about FX-4300). I just have to order it, so I was hesitating because of the CPU (whether I broke it or not). Also I'm quite confused about the packaging at this point, isn't am3+ supposed to be 942 pins? FX-4300 is in 940 pin package, so it fits fine in am3 socket, what is the problem then?

Starcruiser

Honorable
May 18, 2013
You are correct. The am3+ socket is 942 pins but bulldozer processors only use 940. Standard AM3 processors use 938.

From Wikipedia :

"Some manufacturers have brought AM3+ support to some of their AM3 motherboards via a simple BIOS upgrade. Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it is possible for AM3+ CPUs to fit in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current."

Based on this info alone, there should be no problem having a + processor in the slightly older socket provided nothing broke.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I ran an FX-6300 processor on an AM3 board (M5a88-M) motherboard for 4 or 5 years with no issues...well, other than the VRM overheating and throttling the CPU when I overclocked it, that is. :) That board didn't really have the peak-current capability, but it held up well enough.

ASK THE COMMUNITY