Question Am4 cpu socket damage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2021
I noticed some damage on the cpu socket cover on my motherboard, would this void the warranty I am not sure if the board is working. I am using an asrock b450m /ac . There are some sellers on eBay but the shipping times are slow and I can’t find any sellers on Amazon or a cad model to 3D print.

Aug 11, 2021
"wasn't working"...before or after the lightning strike?
After the lightning
How do you know the PSU was hit by a lightening? What brand/model was it?

Did you turn it on after you knew the PSU was damaged? for how long? were there any indications like lights or fans?

Was there ever any smoke or arcing/sparking sounds from within the PSU?
I wasn’t in the same room as my pc when it broke so I have no idea but it’s not working now it was the gigabyte p450b there was a large storm with lots of lightning that ended just hours before my pc wouldn’t boot

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PSUs working isn't a binary works/doesn't work thing. You're still getting +5VSB power, but that doesn't mean it's working enough to power a system.

Is there any other key missing information here? It took an entire page and four days until you got around to the crucial information about the lightning strike. I can't help but wonder what other important information is being withheld; once bitten, twice shy.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
If I put something into the port the leds on it would light up which also means that my psu might’ve it been fried but just severely damaged I tested it with a voltage meter and it measure 0 volts
It's a slippery slope of trouble, you should take this to a professional since you could have what they call a 'hardware virus'. After the strike any or all of the three things can be bad: CPU, motherboard, or PSU. You might replace one but any other of the three that's still bad could just fry the thing you replace. You can easily end up chasing your tail, burning up new hardware one by one.

Aug 11, 2021
PSUs working isn't a binary works/doesn't work thing. You're still getting +5VSB power, but that doesn't mean it's working enough to power a system.

Is there any other key missing information here? It took an entire page and four days until you got around to the crucial information about the lightning strike. I can't help but wonder what other important information is being withheld; once bitten, twice shy.
I only found out that the storm could’ve been the problem recently. Just before it happened I installed 2 new case fans into my pc I tried removing them could they have damaged other components and they didn’t increase the power usage to much my psu was a 450 watt my system uses around 200
It's a slippery slope of trouble, you should take this to a professional since you could have what they call a 'hardware virus'. After the strike any or all of the three things can be bad: CPU, motherboard, or PSU. You might replace one but any other of the three that's still bad could just fry the thing you replace. You can easily end up chasing your tail, burning up new hardware one by one.
Ok my replacement psu should arrive within a few days or maybe even today I’ve been avoiding taking it to a professional because the diagnostic fees can cost more than some of my components