Question AM4 motherboard bent pins???

lmsrcmig06

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
Help me please!!!
Today I was cleaning a used asus b350plus to build my new pc with ryzen 5 1600. The cpu installed fine before cleaning, bug afer cleaning it made a cracking noise when closing and lifting the lever. Lifting was a bigger crack. I then noticed when I put the lever down the motherboard pins glow, except one in the top left. Should I care? I'm afraid I broke my mobo...

Help me please!!!
Today I was cleaning a used asus b350plus to build my new pc with ryzen 5 1600. The cpu installed fine before cleaning, bug afer cleaning it made a cracking noise when closing and lifting the lever. Lifting was a bigger crack. I then noticed when I put the lever down the motherboard pins glow, except one in the top left. Should I care? I'm afraid I broke my mobo...

I'm really not sure what you mean by 'the motherboard pins glow'.

Can you get a picture of the area?

lmsrcmig06

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
When I left or push down the lever without the cpu installed, they glow at one point where the light shies on them. I can't take a picture right now, but every pin glows except one in the top left, in middle of the diagonal between the edge and the center of the socket. I inspected it with a lantern and the pin above shows a bit of the one below. The strange pin also looks like a V with the \ turned more to the left than the others. I'm scared because it didn't make any noise when I first installed it, and I didn't touch anything... There's also a jump when lifting the lever up, meaning force accumulates when lifting it, wich shouldn't happen..
I need urgent help. Thanks

Can still put the CPU in and seat it then latch the lever with the CPU in place...?

If you can, don't remove it. I'd suggest go ahead and put on the HSF and power it up (assuming it's installed in the system). If it works, then you're good to go. If not you're no worse off than before...except now you know your CPU socket is broken and non-functional.
If it does work you might consider this the last time you remove the CPU without planning on a new motherboard purchase.

If it doesn't work...here's a video of someone trying to take apart an AM2/AM3 socket to check for bent pins. You might be able to take your AM4 apart similarly and straighten it but I have doubts. It's very tiny area and you have to be super careful.

Here's a couple video of someone trying to take apart an AM2 and one of an AM3 to check for bent pins. Maybe it could help you... maybe not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcMkxeJoUI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX6LMCk2P2g&feature=youtu.be&t=2m59s

Good luck

lmsrcmig06

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello! I actually sat on the kitchen table after dinner and did just that before you told me to. I broke the 3 plastic things when removing it, but it's still good. Here's what I got: After removing the protective cover, there was the bent pin... I grabbed a lantern and a needle and tried to bend it to the place it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, it's bent nos only sideways, but also diagonally, making a 30° clock wise. Imagine this: \ / that's the format of each pin, connecting with the top to the mobo. The bad pin is bent diagonally, so the left slash or pin is smaller when viewed from above. I know this because while every pin glows with the lantern, if I look from the side the bad pin glows and the other don't. As far as height, it's preety much the same, although difficult to find because it doesn't shine like it should. In my opinion, I think it doesn't affect the cpu, as its pins only need to connect to the 2 on the motherboard, but only time will tel when the rest of the parts arrive... Did I just lose big bucks? Wish me luck