[SOLVED] AM4 Motherboard, which chipset?

CIS-Tech

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
Basically I was "gifted" a 2700x recently. I am not a heavy computer user anymore since I'm getting close to senior year (even my old I7 would've been OK, but now I have to upgrade since I got a new cpu).
So, I don't really know which motherboard to pick. At first I thought, I'll just get a good B450 MOBO, but then I rethought and said, maybe I won't change this piece of gear in the near future (I have plans for the future, house upgrades and job requirements) and got B450 out of my mind.

But then it came down to X470 or X570... I don't see quite a big difference in them.. But X570 seems more future proof. (I plan gpu upgrade in the future, maybe more nvme drives and maybe a 10gbps Nic and not necessarily but in a few years a cpu upgrade ).. That's about it
Budget was 100-150€ but now since I've seen some X570 prices... I'll max at ≃ 200€.

There are decent options in this price range.. But I don't know what chipset to choose... What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
Well, as I mentioned in the post I'm actually already saving for some upgrades, gpu(am Nvidia guy, maybe Nvidia will release a pci exp 4.0 card in the near future?), I have an m.2 ssd right now and am looking forward to get more pci exp m.2 ssd's in the future(most probably just another one) and I would like to not mess around with more and more changes over my personal computer, as of right now it's already a 'pain' to update the motherboard and cpu.

Well yeah, I know. But as I said, a few upgradeability points wouldn't hurt.
But if you're wanting PCIe 4.0, why is X470 still an option? I wouldn't necessarily consider X470 to be any more upgradeable than B450.

And as said above, there is very little benefit from PCIe 4.0 vs...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
At first I thought, I'll just get a good B450 MOBO, but then I rethought and said, maybe I won't change this piece of gear in the near future (I have plans for the future, house upgrades and job requirements) and got B450 out of my mind.
Can you elaborate on why exactly you think B450 is unsuitable?

Chipset doesn't necessarily dictate motherboard quality, it primarily dictates features/number of connectors. So the only categorical difference between a B450 and X470 is that the latter will have a couple more SATA and USB ports and will support multi-GPU. Typically only the high end X470s really set themselves apart in other ways from B450s.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

CIS-Tech

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
Can you elaborate on why exactly you think B450 is unsuitable?

Well, as I mentioned in the post I'm actually already saving for some upgrades, gpu(am Nvidia guy, maybe Nvidia will release a pci exp 4.0 card in the near future?), I have an m.2 ssd right now and am looking forward to get more pci exp m.2 ssd's in the future(most probably just another one) and I would like to not mess around with more and more changes over my personal computer, as of right now it's already a 'pain' to update the motherboard and cpu.

Chipset doesn't necessarily dictate motherboard quality, it primarily dictates features/number of connectors.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

But if you're wanting PCIe 4.0, why is X470 still an option? I wouldn't necessarily consider X470 to be any more upgradeable than B450.

And as said above, there is very little benefit from PCIe 4.0 vs 3.0 for GPUs for gaming, and I doubt that will change in the near future. We've only recently starting to see any noticeable differences between 2.0 and 3.0 for high end cards.

B450 can still handle two NVMe drives, or a 10 Gbps NIC, etc. Two NVMe drives + 10 Gbps NIC might be a problem, although I really question the need for a 10 GBps NIC.

Reactions: CIS-Tech
Solution

CIS-Tech

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
B450 can still handle two NVMe drives, or a 10 Gbps NIC, etc. Two NVMe drives + 10 Gbps NIC might be a problem, although I really question the need for a 10 GBps NIC.
I know I know, I'm still not sure if I'm going to spend this extra facility currently, but I need 10gbps LAN only, for my servers. Transfers are kinda over throttled right now.

CIS-Tech

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
What PCIe 4 devices have you seen coming out? All I've seen to this point are NVME drives and two lines of GPU (R-VII and Navi).
Well, what else would you want on your computer? :D gpus and storage are kind of most used.
Keep in mind PCI-E 4 just launched and there are already releasing on it...

Well, in that case get a x570 board. From the things I've read is the 4000 series will stay with AM4 socket amd the 5000 will be all new.
Where have you read about the 5xxx series? That would be cool but odd...

Well, what else would you want on your computer? :D gpus and storage are kind of most used.
I think I'd want something that actually takes advantage of the bandwidth, as neither GPU's not storage has been shown to up to this point. At least not as us average users use it.

Games certainly can not with GPU's... we don't even max out PCIe gen 2 bandwidth as it is. And most of us use our SSD's for system drives which do not require the sustained read speeds needed to max out even PCIe gen3. As a system drive, access speed is paramount after start-up and just about any good SSD excels at that.

Enterprise data storage is probably the most demanding use for it, but you have to have the right type of useage. Except for those who spend their day moving multi-gigabyte contiguous files around I just haven't seen PCIe gen 4 being used to the advantage it's been touted for.

So I was curious if anything really new is out that truly and regularly taxes gen 4 bandwidth for gaming and content creation.

Last edited:
Everything said about the x570 and the PCIe 4 is true at this time.

In two years, or three? Intel is going to go PCIe 4.0 soon as well. And as AMD said, if the product isn't offered then no one will use it.

I don't have a crystal ball. So maybe the x570 is a waste right...but maybe not. We shall see.

TRENDING THREADS