AM4 OC: Replacing a suspicious x370 with some x470 ?

DragonFox

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
So. My OC build has started to exhibit some serious issues starting up, cold boot or not.

* Always get's stuck at least once during POST.
* BIOS often resets, but loading the profile again usually works
* GPU is not always detected (doesn't seem to be a seating issue)
* Ram downgrade did not help

Current specs:
Corsair Carbide 600C
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz - Vcore: 1.42V SoC: 1.35V
NZXT Kraken X62 aio ^
Gigabyte x370 Gaming K7
XFX XFR 850W PSU
Gainward gtx 960 *
* (borrowed from other computer, waiting for a good deal on 1070 or higher)

Current RAM:
G.Skill FlareX 2400MHz CL15 2x8GB

Preferred RAM:
Corsair CMR32GX4M2C3333C16 (2 x 16 GB)
Final timings: 16-18-18-36 (tRC=64) for 3333MHz

I'm suspecting the mobo isn't good and i'm looking to try another board to verify my thoughts.

I've narrowed the list of interesting boards down to 3 (perhaps 4) down below:

* ASRock X470 Taichi
* MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC
* ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate (redundant?, don't need wifi)
* Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero

- But i don't know which one to pick

I'm planning to start over on my main rig, starting with :

* Getting a ram/cpu/mobo that can do 3.8GHz / 3200-3600 Mhz
* New case: Lian-Li - PC-O11DW

(The current case is quite horrible when it comes to cable management)

My thoughts are your vcore is a not high as its not,recommended to exceed 1.4v. The board You have doesnt gave a strong VRM as well and this is probably your problem. A taichi x470 would be great.

I have a carbide 600c and I love it. Not sure how you have cable management issues.

Getting stopped at POST, with resets, was always the sign that memory was the culprit, but you said you 'downgraded' your RAM so I assume that means you're running it at 2400 and it still does this.

1700 at only 3.8Ghz needing 1.42V seems pretty bad silicon. May I ask when you got this CPU? was it by any chance very early in the Ryzen 1 release? I had one of the very early 1700's and it also needed pretty high volts to do 3.8G and got toasty hot under even moderate stress testing.

It also had the Linux segfault bug so AMD replaced it on an RMA. The replacement CPU was like night to day difference and OC's to 3.9G at 1.4V (VRM limited on my B350 board) and runs P95 much cooler.

Just something to think about: but then, of course, if you've just got the upgrade bug don't bother. Just do it :)

The CH VII is decidedly the superior motherboard in almost all respects, but it's also overkill if you 1) don't need the features it offers which means you 2) don't intend to extreme overclock in an open-air test bench case scenario. This thing is specifically designed for overclocking under LN2.

One word of advice: don't get any Ryzen 2000 CPU and overclock it to a mere 3800 and imagine you're doing yourself a favor with any of those boards. Especially any 'X' version (2600/2700X) that you shouldn't overclock at all, at least not in the conventional sense. Even not overclocked an X cpu will boost two cores/4 threads to 4.35G, and hold them there for a long time on really good motherboards like these are. You can kill very real performance in games (that never use more than 4 threads and only one heavily) if you lock it into a lower all-core overclock. Even one at 4.2G.

The trick in overclocking these is to make them hold the boost longer using PBO. Go check some of the guides on overclocking them.

DragonFox

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I think it's one of the last "early" batches, and Vcore may be a bit high, however, the temps are okay as even after several hours hammering it pretty hard, it still sticks to ~55 degrees C and ~42 when idle.
This is with an ambient of 26 degrees C.

Mobo/Ram/Cpu was bought during mid-summer 2017.

Regarding cable management; there is difficulty routing everything needed for 4x hdd's, gpu, etc. The clearance between mobo tray and side panel isn't ideal for starters.

I know the Asus is overkill for my purposes, but I included it anyway.
I haven't looked into the 2700 and such to be honest.

Regarding PBO: i'm unfamiliar with this as I haven't seen it be that useful early on.
I don't know the current state of ryzen's abillity to scale clocks independently.

My OC is as basic as it gets; static 3800MHz across all cores and this has been a reasonable OC, not great, but still within reason.

The 3333MHz kit can't do anything between 2400 and 2933 on this board and there is no difference in the (in)stabillity between 2133 (vengence) on that kit and 2400mhz on the "downgrade" ram (flareX)
If you look up the motherboard 3333MHz is listed as supported, but the QVL is rather useless. As far as i'm aware it hasn't been updated since the board launches, thus it's not really worth looking at.

DragonFox

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Yeah, you probably wouldn't need a "quad raid 0" scratch-disk anyway.