nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Currently I have my Wraith Spire Installed with my Ryzen 2600, and I put all the screws that I didn't use when I built my PC into a Metal Box with my PSU Cables, and today present time I wanted to upgrade to a Ryzen 2700x because it was on sale. I haven't brought it but I was checking out some tutorials before I got the CPU on it's Wraith Prism Cooler, this one needed the retention brackets on the Motherboard for it to hook on. I checked out my Brackets that I left in the box and I completely forgot what the screws looked like, I was stupid enough before to not sort out the screws and just tossed all of the screws together. I watched videos on other's installing the Wraith Spire coolers removing the bracket to check on what the screws looked like, I found a similar colored one which was shiny silver. I was 60% sure it was the right one because I had nothing else that was like the one I saw in a video. I'm here to confirm if I have the RIGHT screws for the Retention Bracket, I have a photo.

View: https://imgur.com/p6SL7Cj

Solution
If you put those screws into the plastic bracket, they should only stick out the back by roughly 3/16 of an inch. That's just enough to go through the motherboard and into the nuts in the backplate. There's very few screws of that particular length, almost all regular pc screws are 1/4 of an inch or less.

As long as you are certain you kept those screws, you'll probably not have any others of the right length, even if they are similar thread count.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Um this might be a silly question but how do I thread them by hand without my motherboard backplate? Cuz now it literally just falls straight through with only the oval shaped top getting stuck in it, I can't really hand screw it unless I take of my current cooler and waste my thermal paste

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah you'd need to take off the current cooler and test with the back plate. I'm about 99.9% sure those are the correct screws in the picture. Test them by hand first when you change coolers so you don't mess the threads up just in case (by some small chance) they aren't the right screws. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you put those screws into the plastic bracket, they should only stick out the back by roughly 3/16 of an inch. That's just enough to go through the motherboard and into the nuts in the backplate. There's very few screws of that particular length, almost all regular pc screws are 1/4 of an inch or less.

As long as you are certain you kept those screws, you'll probably not have any others of the right length, even if they are similar thread count.

Solution

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks guys! The screws did come through around 3/16 of the hole, i'm 100% sure that I found the right one, and yes I do have all of them it's just I only showed 2 in the picture. Hope this Ryzen 2700x will be good for a multi-tasking recording PC.