Question AM4 socket possibly damaged?

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
So I was swapping my CPU the other night and even though I used the twist and rock method my cpu came out with my cooler but only on one side. I then decided to just pull it off which in hindsight may have been not the best move. I got it out though and I didn't see any bent pins on the cpu I did hear a slight almost crunch sound which I think may have been the socket cover as it was somewhat misshapen afterwards. I was able to get the new cpu to sit in the socket all the way and installed the cooler and it seemed fine but is there any way to test for damage/loss of performance? Would it just not work at all? Sorry I'm just being really paranoid. Thanks in advance for any help :)

My guess is you probably damaged the top cover. It's made of a plastic that's very frangible so it's easy to do. So long as it's working, don't worry: the next time you try to remove the CPU or cooler it may cause a problem though. That makes it even more important to use proper technique to remove the cooler: twisting and gentle rocking to break the seal. Don't pull up hard. Pre-heat it to soften the TIM before shutting down.

Reactions: sixstring88