Question AM5 Motherboard Question

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
I will be looking to build myself a new AMD Ryzen 7900X system in the next few weeks.

I have a question about the X670 chipsets.

What would I gain by opting for this board.....

Over This board.....

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Apparently the links don't work for with a constant redirect happening. I can still look up the models but how much does each board set you back?

PCIe bandwidth allocation for the slots are lower on the Pro, you're missing out on the heatsinks and decorative covering over the board, you're also missing out on the "branding on the I/O cover, rear I/O options are also limited. The lower cost of the Pro is due to the cut downs from the Carbon, in spite of the board looking nearly identical CB layout wise.

Last edited:

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
Apparently the links don't work for with a constant redirect happening. I can still look up the models but how much does each board set you back?

PCIe bandwidth allocation for the slats are lower on the Pro, you're missing out on the heatsinks and decorative covering over the board, you're also missing out on the "branding on the I/O cover, rear I/O options are also limited. The lower cost of the Pro is due to the cut downs from the Carbon, in spite of the board looking nearly identical CB layout wise.
U think I should splash out on the more expensive board?

D

Deleted member 2838871

My eyeballs are bad but is that a Yoda holding up the graphics card?
Yeah. The card came with an anti-sag bracket but I didn't like the look. It would be directly in front of those 2 fans... so I just printed a baby Yoda to support the card from underneath.

Works very well... card sagged about 1/8 of an inch... but not anymore. ;)

Reactions: kerberos_20

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
This build now has to be done sooner rather than later, my front USB ports on my current board have started playing up, I can charge devices from them but whatever I plug in device wise doesn't get recognised.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Can I ask out of interest. what ram are you running in your system?

6000mhz is the sweet spot for AM5.

I myself am running 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo... 6000mhz CL 30.

I actually saw a Youtube video a couple days ago from the AM5 debut where it was said this ram is what AMD recommends... so I feel like I made a good choice because I made the purchase before knowing that.

It's been stable with no issues. I have seen reports of high speed ram being unstable.

Reactions: ilukey77

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
6000mhz is the sweet spot for AM5.

I myself am running 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo... 6000mhz CL 30.

I actually saw a Youtube video a couple days ago from the AM5 debut where it was said this ram is what AMD recommends... so I feel like I made a good choice because I made the purchase before knowing that.

It's been stable with no issues. I have seen reports of high speed ram being unstable.
Thanks, I will opt for the same ram then.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Thanks, I will opt for the same ram then.

Forgot to add... 2x32GB sticks is recommended. In addition to seeing reports of higher speed ram being unstable I have also seen reports of 4x ram sticks also being unstable.

I've had no issues with mine.

If you go 32GB then obviously 2x 16GB sticks.