News Amazon Basics CPU Cooler is Its First Foray into PC Components

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
complete idiot when you can get a FAR, FAR superior cooler in the 20 dollar Thermalright

Ugh, there's a reason Thermalright sells for just $20. If they could charge more, they would.

The cooling performance is ok but not great. The quality control is bad. Lots of QA issues, the coolers often don't fit properly, the contact plate is often not completely flat.

Thermalright is the typical Chinese brand, they send their flawless copies to reviewers which gives them lots of positive reviews, and customers get versions that often have quality problems.

gthghfhfhfh.jpg

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Anybody who would buy ANY of the budget Cooler master or Amazon coolers would have to be a complete idiot when you can get a FAR, FAR superior cooler in the 20 dollar Thermalright Assassin X refined SE or 35 dollar Peerless Assassin SE. Much higher quality. Much better performance. And they have the added benefit of not looking like they are from 2001.
The 212 series got early momentum because they were cheap, and slightly better than the stock included cooler.

After that, they are recommended only due to name recognition and inertia.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
But Amazon selling products made by other brands but with the Basics label is unheard of.

They do this all the time, actually. The "Amazon Basics" monitor arm is literally just an Ergotron arm. It still even has the Ergotron branding on parts of it. They just buy excess products from suppliers and rebrand them as their basics line.

Ugh, there's a reason Thermalright sells for just $20. If they could charge more, they would.

The cooling performance is ok but not great. The quality control is bad. Lots of QA issues, the coolers often don't fit properly, the contact plate is often not completely flat.

Thermalright is the typical Chinese brand, they send their flawless copies to reviewers which gives them lots of positive reviews, and customers get versions that often have quality problems.

gthghfhfhfh.jpg
First of all, it's NOT even a Chinese brand. Second of all, your parts were clearly obtained AFTER somebody else had bought and returned them, after they modified and damaged them. I've purchased literally dozens and dozens of Thermalright coolers, from the bottom to the top of their product stack and not ONE SINGLE Thermalright product I've ever bought has been anything but exceptional quality and top shelf performance. I call BS, 200%, or you got somebody's already used and returned junk. And if you bought it through Newegg or Amazon, it's not even remotely unusual to see that happen. They are absolutely not the low quality trash you get from Cooler Master, ID Cooling, Antec, Raijintek, etc.

Reactions: drivinfast247

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
top shelf performance

not ONE SINGLE Thermalright product I've ever bought has been anything but exceptional quality

Much higher quality. Much better performance.

superior cooler

Seriously. WTF? Are you some Thermalright PR person or something.

First of all, it's NOT even a Chinese brand.

Second of all, your parts were clearly obtained AFTER somebody else had bought and returned them, after they modified and damaged them.

It's a brand producing in China with the HQ in Taiwan. You wanna do the political mental gymnastics about Taiwan and China, be my guest, no one cares.

And no, those pictures were not obtained after someone else bought them, you're making random stuff up. Those pictures of broken and low quality Thermalright pieces are from new buyers. The reason Thermalright sells at bottom $20 prices is because it's a brand with a lot of QA issues. If Thermalright could sell at higher prices, they would.

If you buy a $20 cooler, you get what you pay for. If it works for you, great. But don't start pretending like Thermalright doesn't have QA issues. There is a reason their coolers are only $20, it's not because they're a charity.

Last edited:
Seriously. WTF? Are you some Thermalright PR person or something.

It's a brand producing in China with the HQ in Taiwan. You wanna do the political mental gymnastics about Taiwan and China, be my guest, no one cares.

And no, those pictures were not obtained after someone else bought them, you're making random stuff up. Those pictures of broken and low quality Thermalright pieces are from new buyers. The reason Thermalright sells at bottom $20 prices is because it's a brand with a lot of QA issues. If Thermalright could sell at higher prices, they would.

If you buy a $20 cooler, you get what you pay for. If it works for you, great. But don't start pretending like Thermalright doesn't have QA issues. There is a reason their coolers are only $20, it's not because they're a charity.
You do know that Thermalright has a vast range of coolers, right?

Anybody who would buy ANY of the budget Cooler master or Amazon coolers would have to be a complete idiot when you can get a FAR, FAR superior cooler in the 20 dollar Thermalright Assassin X refined SE or 35 dollar Peerless Assassin SE. Much higher quality. Much better performance. And they have the added benefit of not looking like they are from 2001.

Love my peerless assassin se. I can't get my 65w CPU above 65C under prime95 or linpack.

Reactions: rbuffetta
The 212 series got early momentum because they were cheap, and slightly better than the stock included cooler.

After that, they are recommended only due to name recognition and inertia.

$20 ten years ago was a bargain. Now they are closer to $45 depending on variant. There are much better options. So Hyper 212 is not worth it. There are much better buys. The fan bearings are cheap and noisy and the plate isn't that flat. And for only 4 pipes that's expensive. In fact I just tossed mine out after sitting in storage 6 years.

Even these Gammaxx 400 v2 coolers I have on this shelf will probably just end up becoming free upgrades on one of the systems I work on because at the price of the Thermalright coolers I can afford to have a few of them on hand for bench testing and random things.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Amazon's first CPU cooler could be a good choice for budget builds as it appears to be a rebrand of the more expensive Cooler Master Hyper H410R RGB.

Amazon Basics CPU Cooler is Its First Foray into PC Components : Read more

If you have less than $40, then the #1 best deal is the IDTech SE-224-XT cooler in the high $20's. It cools 8-core CPUs better than Noctua U12S and as well as Noctua U15 (within 1 degree of temperature at all power levels). It does not scale very well to 200w+ cpus because it only has 4 heat pipes and overloads at more than 200w - for that, get a better cooler. I love my RGB SE-224-XT which I got for $35 (shipped, w/tax) on ebay.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZTMR8mT-A

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Every Amazon Basics product has been of poor quality and high price for that quality.
I bought some of their USB (and maybe HDMI?) cables and they're working fine. I could believe quality might be variable, though. I would always recommend people check the reviews of any Amazon Basics cables they're considering, and not blindly assume they're uniformly decent.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS