News Amazon Delays GPU-Breaking Game 'New World' Until September

phazeshifta

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Such a stupid headline. Why even mention something that's been patched to fix the issue? I love how you spent 2 paragraphs covering a now non-issue and then 1 brief line at the end of those paragraphs saying its now been fixed.

Your editor not happy with how short your article was without your clickbait?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
How is it clickbait? It is true and to the point. Nothing wrong with giving some context at the beginning of the article. A clickbait title would be something like: "New World Release Delayed Until When!!!????"

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
The New World "dream" died when they removed loot-drop open PvP and replaced it w/ a shoddy, forced faction system. Now it's just "another" MMO w/ somewhat better combat.

Jun 2, 2021
Wow, I expected a lot better journalism from Tom's Hardware than this. New World didn't break GPUs, the game just exposed a fault with certain cards. The same problem has been replicated in other games. New World also isn't developed in O3DE, it uses Lumberyard. There's a distinction there.

Reactions: MrHGB

MrHGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
What an awful headline. You and I both know New World didn't kill any GPUs, the issue was caused by a faulty fan controller on specific models of EVGA cards. If you want clicks, write a good article, don't just spout nonsense and lies.

MrHGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
The New World "dream" died when they removed loot-drop open PvP and replaced it w/ a shoddy, forced faction system. Now it's just "another" MMO w/ somewhat better combat.

Full loot PvP is extremely niche, the game would have died instantly if they'd stuck with it. There's such a tiny audience interested in it and it's just not viable from a business perspective. What they have now is a very good foundation, not perfect by any means but something they can work with and mould into something profitable and enjoyable. I put 60 hours into the beta and loved it, as someone who has been playing MMOs for nearly 20 years I haven't been this drawn in by a game in a very long time.

Aug 7, 2021
There is no one that got their Card bricked by New World, it is simply not possible for a Game to do that.

They just had a Card that was faulty to begin with and the extra stress the game caused gave the card the final blow. So if you don't have a faulty card you don't need to worry.

There is no Game or Software that can break your Card, besides overclocking of course.

Here problem was in EVGA 3090/3080 series which was waiting for any heavy load to stop working.

Title like this may give people wrong idea of what happened, I expected higher standards from tomshardware.

Last edited: