News Amazon Delays Shipping PC Parts for Weeks; Shop Elsewhere for Now

WUT???!

To Our Valued Customers,

At Newegg, we’re closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and working tirelessly to serve the needs of businesses and individuals who are quickly adapting to new ways of life as we all pull together to curtail this outbreak. In response to the virus, we’ve implemented updated best practices in our workplace to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers.

Putting our Employees and Customers First
In accordance with California’s recent statewide stay-at-home order, most employees in our Los Angeles area headquarters are now working from home. We have temporarily limited on-site business operations to essential staff in our warehouses to ensure fulfilment and delivery of customer orders with minimal interruption, especially those relying on Newegg to deliver household staples, medical supplies and other necessities. These essential employees adhere to recommended hygiene and social distancing practices, and we’ve increased janitorial services to preserve a clean, healthy work environment.

These precautions are designed to ensure customer orders are picked, packed and shipped by healthy employees. Once a package leaves our warehouse, it’s entrusted to one of our shipping partners. A large percentage of these orders are delivered via UPS or the US Postal Service, both of which are taking steps to ensure the health of their employees and safe parcel delivery. UPS published its COVID-19 response here, while the USPS is following guidelines published by the CDC. Newegg and its fulfilment partners are pulling together to deliver the highest, healthiest level of service to our customers.

Fair Pricing Commitment
Newegg is committed to fair pricing. If you suspect a product is priced dramatically higher than it should be, please let us know so we can investigate and fix the problem. Supply chain fluctuations and big swings in consumer demand are placing unprecedented pressure on the e-commerce system as a whole, and we’re grateful to you – our loyal customers – for helping to ensure pricing remains fair, especially during trying times like these.

Supplying the Remote Workforce
More employees than ever before are working from home – some by choice, others out of necessity. We recently launched a Work From Home portal in response to the sharp, recent increase in searches for products such as webcams, laptop computers and other products suited to remote work. Newegg will continue to monitor product category searches to ensure the selection of products available evolves with customer demand.

Looking Ahead
The COVID-19 situation remains fluid, and Newegg is committed to helping customers manage through this difficult time. We will continue to monitor and respond to federal, state and local health authorities to protect our employees and serve our customers safely, and with minimal disruption.

Sincerely,

Anthony Chow
Chief Executive Officer, Newegg Inc.

Best Buy
To Our Customers,

Across the country these past several days, you have come to our stores to buy the technology and household necessities that are so valuable at a time like this. We remain determined to continue to serve you and are announcing today a new way of making our stores accessible while even further enhancing customer and employee safety.

In our stores

Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn't order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car. This service also extends to returns and exchanges, the period for which has been extended on most products so that you have more time. Only employees will be allowed in the store, but we are determined to serve you as fully as we can. Unfortunately, we are temporarily unable to continue our product trade-in and recycling services.

For those who want to continue shopping with us online or on the app, we will, of course, still get you what you want.

In your home

As you know, Best Buy works in millions of customer homes each year, and we have long been proud of the services we provide. Because of the increased concern for you, your families and our employees, we have made the decision to suspend currently scheduled installations, haul-aways or repairs for large items like refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers and TVs.

Beginning Monday, March 23, we will no longer deliver these large products into your home and will, instead, offer free doorstep delivery. This means we will take the item as close as we possibly can to the front door of your home without bringing it inside. We know that this change will be inconvenient, and we are truly sorry. It was made with our employees' and your best interests at heart. If you have an order scheduled for installation in the next 30 days, please expect an email or text from Best Buy about your delivery options.

Employees

Speaking of our employees, everyone working right now is doing so on a voluntary basis, and all hourly employees who volunteer are receiving a temporary pay increase. Additionally, anyone feeling sick is told to stay home, and they will be paid for that time. Finally, anyone exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 is also told to stay home, with pay, and we are paying employees who may need to stay home to care for their children.

All of us at Best Buy are grateful that so many states and localities believe we are an essential business, allowing us to continue to serve you when you need it most. We thank you for your patience and loyalty and look forward to continuing to provide you with the technology and home essentials you require to stay connected and work and learn from home. Thank you.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I'm sure I'm not alone in having to build a new workstation for working from home. This is the worst time to lower priority on this. If I can't get a decent pc soon, I can't work.

Reactions: bit_user

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
when 1 milliard of people are locked down and trying to work remotely, amazon cut any possibilities of computers-repairs.. Other products take precedence, this I can easily understand, but repair-parts for computer may be also important too. not 1st important, but more important than 70% of other products.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Micro Center’s Response to COVID-19
03/21 UPDATES
  • We are limiting the number of customers in our stores to ensure proper social distancing.
  • We have implemented a waitlist for entering the store to eliminate crowding or lines at the entrance. You may return to your vehicle or maintain proper distancing from the entrance and other customers.
  • At this time, we are limiting payment options to credit cards/debit-enabled cards, and A/R accounts to minimize physical contact.
  • Coming soon; We will have a medical assistant available to ensure the health of our associates when arriving for work.
Here at Micro Center, we are dedicated to supporting our families and communities through this critical time. As we navigate this crisis, we have already taken several actions to ensure the safety of our associates, customers and their families. We are following CDC guidelines as well as implementing new policies and procedures as this matter at hand evolves. We whole heartedly believe it is crucial for us to serve and support our communities, while keeping health and safety at our core focus. Please continue reading to learn more about our response to COVID-19.
March 19, 2020
A Letter from our CEO, Rick Mershad

How Micro Center is making efforts in response to COVID-19
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What measures is Micro Center taking to protect associates and customers during this time?

• We are limiting the number of customers in our stores to ensure proper social distancing.
  • We have implemented a waitlist for entering the store to eliminate crowding or lines at the entrance. You may return to your vehicle or maintain proper distancing from the entrance and other customers.
  • At this time, we are limiting payment options to credit cards/debit-enabled cards, and A/R accounts to minimize physical contact.
  • Coming soon; We will have a medical assistant available to ensure the health of our associates when arriving for work.
  • A greeter will be designated at all Micro Center locations to ensure customers’ and associates’ safety and to provide disinfectant for carts to comply with CDC guidelines. The greeter will also remind customers to keep the recommended 6 feet distance from other customers and associates.
  • Our service department will be providing a sanitation area to disinfect incoming service items as well as taking our precautions in following CDC guidelines to sanitize units as they come in.
  • Paper towels and disinfectants have been distributed for use throughout stores and home offices. We are allowing and working to provide the use of gloves and protective masks as well.
  • Associates are frequently disinfecting the checkout area to maintain customer and associate cleanliness. We are in the progress of adding markings to checkout lines noting 6ft distances between customers. We are asking both our associates and customers to please be mindful of their distance to others while in-store.
  • We are adjusting our store hours to allow for expanded cleaning procedures to take place and for more time to restock the products you and the other essential businesses need.
  • We are limiting the amount of service staff that are working at one time. Until further notice, our service and repair check-in process will be expedited, and we will not be providing our extended tech support consultations.
What options is Micro Center providing to their associates regarding time off?
  • If any associate feels uncomfortable coming to work, they will be allowed to stay home.
  • We have waived our attendance policy until further notice.
  • We are providing quarantine pay and confirmed diagnosis pay in addition to regular paid time off, and leaves of absence.
  • In an effort to show our extreme gratitude, we are investing $1,000,000 in our associates that work with us through this challenging and uncertain time.
Are stores open, and have changes been made to operating hours?
  • We have implemented the following changes to our hours. Please be aware that these may change. We encourage customers to review your local store info page for any changes.
    • Retail store locations: Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    • Tech Support: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
    • Micro Center Online: Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday Closed
    • Changes to store hours will continue to be posted at the top of each webpage. Please be sure to have your store location selected.
  • Our store locations are currently operating in accordance with local mandates and curfews. Please check back often for updates.
  • In-store clinics are temporarily suspended. Please check back for updates.
To assist with the unprecedentedly high volume of calls, we encourage our customers to reach out to us via our additional resources:
  • Text – You can now text your local store at their listed number
  • Chat – Our chat is available on our site located at the bottom right corner
  • Forums – Our forums have a plethora of information immediately at your fingertips! Representatives and our community are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
  • Social – Our social team is eager to assist via Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
Is in-store pick up currently available?
  • Yes, our in-store pickup services are available. We recommend you take advantage of this feature. The in-store pickup process encourages the CDCs recommendation of social distancing for the safety of our customers.
  • We are currently experiencing a high volume of orders. We ask for patience while associates are working to fulfill all orders as quickly and timely as possible.
  • Orders placed after 6 p.m. will be processed the following day. This guideline is to allow associates to fulfill all current orders and to comply with curfew regulations.
When will a specific item be restocked?
  • Regularly! Our team is working hard with our vendors and suppliers to restock as quickly as possible. We understand the dire need for products to learn, work remotely, and support our healthcare community during these ever-changing conditions.
  • Please note due to the high demand for computers and monitors we have a temporary limit of 5 per customer. We want to ensure all of our great customers have access to this much-needed product and appreciate the understanding at this time.
Micro Center is committed to working with federal, state and local authorities to ensure the safety of our associates and customers.Please continue to check our page for the most recent updates as this crisis evolv

I need 6tb drives for my unraid nas backups of family photos and movies as well as my ai research code and papers.

Im not near microcenter except for an hour drive each way.

And newegg is only offering 3rd party sellers for wd red drives. And considering new egg is owned by china, f em.

I've seen that claim elsewhere, but it's not true.

Majority stake by a Chinese technology company isn't even close to "owned by China."

"Owned by china", "majority stake by Chinese technology", makes no difference to me. China's gov't and some of China's businesses stab us every chance they get, and in a cowardly, covert way. They do it through industrial sabotage, monetary manipulation based policy, political smearing and more.

For example: China for years fed misinformation into Africa about how the USA generated AIDS to get rid of black people. Why? Because China wanted access to resources and customers in Africa and wanted to eliminate competition.

This whole COVID-19 blaming the US for their problems is just proof of how ugly they really are when it comes to world affairs. So I make a point not to support them when I can avoid it.

The sooner we get off China's teet the better. We should have never put them in a position where they manufacture the majority of our anti biotics. That was just stupid on our part, as it gives them leverage during an outbreak like this. (And they have threatened to hold back vital meds)

So like I said, "F-em"

Any way, I ordered from Amazon. I'll wait a month and power down my NAS backup until then.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
"Owned by china", "majority stake by Chinese technology", makes no difference to me. China's gov't and some of China's businesses stab us every chance they get, and in a cowardly, covert way.

I agree with the general gist of most of your post, except for the first one.

That's too easy to say. Judge all based on some. And it's "majority stake by a Chinese technology company" (not by "Chinese technology" which implied controlled by the government of China).

So, I won't say that. Or that "some (insert race, religion, ethnicity, etc here) do X, Y, and Z" and therefore judge all by that. Plus, I'm more willing to give a bit more benefit of the doubt to a company that forced a patent troll to finish a BS legal fight, and forced that patent troll to suffer the consequences of their actions. That does earn some grace points with me (albeit not wholesale, carte-blanche trust, mind you).

But, as to the rest, where we let too much get outsourced to China, of course, I agree. That was completely short sighted, idiotic, and, let's face it GREEDY on the part of a certain chunk of the US populace. It was all about lining certain peoples' pockets short-term, and to hell with the rest of the country. THOSE people had the attitude of "I won't be around by the time those chickens come home to roost, so screw the people in the future who have to deal with it. I've got some more yachts and mansions to buy RIGHT NOW."

I agree with the general gist of most of your post, except for the first one.

That's too easy to say. Judge all based on some. And it's "majority stake by a Chinese technology company" (not by "Chinese technology" which implied controlled by the government of China).

So, I won't say that. Or that "some (insert race, religion, ethnicity, etc here) do X, Y, and Z" and therefore judge all by that. Plus, I'm more willing to give a bit more benefit of the doubt to a company that forced a patent troll to finish a BS legal fight, and forced that patent troll to suffer the consequences of their actions. That does earn some grace points with me (albeit not wholesale, carte-blanche trust, mind you).

But, as to the rest, where we let too much get outsourced to China, of course, I agree. That was completely short sighted, idiotic, and, let's face it GREEDY on the part of a certain chunk of the US populace. It was all about lining certain peoples' pockets short-term, and to hell with the rest of the country. THOSE people had the attitude of "I won't be around by the time those chickens come home to roost, so screw the people in the future who have to deal with it. I've got some more yachts and mansions to buy RIGHT NOW."

Understand, I don't blame the majority of Chinese people. But I shouldn't strengthen my enemy by providing food to his camp, even if it feeds everybody (innocent or not) By supporting legitimate Chinese business, I passively support the Chinese gov't behaviors.

Not just computer parts, my new spatula set is delayed. How am I supposed to cook for myself in the armageddon if I can't scoop batter efficiently?

Saw this as well when trying to order cases for phones. All will arrive April 21st.

This hits our IT department pretty hard too. We were told by vendors that if we didn't order new laptops before this all started we wont see anything until at least the end of the quarter at the earliest.

It really does show how easily the world could fall apart due to relying on a single country for the majority of goods.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
This. While it's usually seen in the form of outsourcing offshore (which isn't going away anytime soon), it's really a case of shifting to just-in-time operations. Everybody tries not to have their own warehouse, shifting the need to suppliers. Even there, they keep the warehouse stock minimal - a few days usually. The manufacturers don't have warehouses either; they mostly build stuff for orders to ship, not for stock, whether in China or elsewhere.

That's great for the bottom line, because unsold inventory sitting around is a serious expense (as well as a tax magnet). It's not so great when supply lines get disrupted or there's a run on something (nearly everything, lately). If your factory normally runs at nearly capacity, there's no slack for sudden increases in demand. And it's not just your factory - it's all the others in your supply chain, and the transportation services beyond you.

We're all in this together, folks, and it's not a hoax.

Reactions: bit_user and King_V
This. While it's usually seen in the form of outsourcing offshore (which isn't going away anytime soon), it's really a case of shifting to just-in-time operations. Everybody tries not to have their own warehouse, shifting the need to suppliers. Even there, they keep the warehouse stock minimal - a few days usually. The manufacturers don't have warehouses either; they mostly build stuff for orders to ship, not for stock, whether in China or elsewhere.

That's great for the bottom line, because unsold inventory sitting around is a serious expense (as well as a tax magnet). It's not so great when supply lines get disrupted or there's a run on something (nearly everything, lately). If your factory normally runs at nearly capacity, there's no slack for sudden increases in demand. And it's not just your factory - it's all the others in your supply chain, and the transportation services beyond you.

We're all in this together, folks, and it's not a hoax.

JIT works if you manufacture something simple.

Where I work, some of our lead times can be months. So imagine bringing production halt to a couple month lead time factory. How long it will take to get something once you close down that factory that is run near 100% capacity.

We also have multiple suppliers which are also affected. Two months delay become three, four, five months or more easily. That's especially painful if you are under contract due to missed delivery target penalties. If your competition does have stock, it might be 50% more. But if you need it, you need it.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I had a cpu that was supposed to be delivered today but UPS just told me they won't deliver it, even though they have "essential service" exemption. It's literally just a mile away and they won't let me take it.

"Due to global health events beyond our control, your package is being held for delivery at a later date. "

My local grocery store that told everyone to just relax and there's plenty to go around, now has empty shelves and has cancelled online shopping and deliveries. I'm starting to suspect everyone is full of crap and it's much worse than it seems.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a cpu that was supposed to be delivered today but UPS just told me they won't deliver it, even though they have "essential service" exemption. It's literally just a mile away and they won't let me take it.

"Due to global health events beyond our control, your package is being held for delivery at a later date. "

My local grocery store that told everyone to just relax and there's plenty to go around, now has empty shelves and has cancelled online shopping and deliveries. I'm starting to suspect everyone is full of crap and it's much worse than it seems.

Mod Edit for Language

The biggest issue is that we have one country that completely shut down that provides the mass majority of items. Combine that with people hoarding items because the media induces a panic and we have the situation we are in.

I don't think this is worse due to the actual virus. I think its worse due to people being idiots.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
While I agree with all that, it still doesn't explain how my item-- that was ready to be loaded onto a truck-- was cancelled. I also can't go pick it up. My best guess is, a UPS employee who works there got the virus and they put the entire warehouse in quarantine.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Saw this as well when trying to order cases for phones. All will arrive April 21st.

This hits our IT department pretty hard too. We were told by vendors that if we didn't order new laptops before this all started we wont see anything until at least the end of the quarter at the earliest.

It really does show how easily the world could fall apart due to relying on a single country for the majority of goods.

I was hoping to replace my clunker of a laptop soon, but might have to put that on hold. I would like Dell to update their XPS15 chassis first, but who knows if that will even happen now.

Mod Edit for Language

Amazon cancelled grocery deliveries too. Just too much demand for delivery systems nobody used till now. If companies are smart they will hire more drivers and adapt revenue streams. But that will take time.

With in-store inventory, consumers can't keep up this level of buying forever. We are not eating and pooing any more than before. The demand spiked suddenly due to recent news, but can't remain that high continuously.

Co BIY

Splendid
My guess is that the Amazon competitors recommended here are in the same position as Amazon but their systems aren't as transparent or as sophisticated and don't know they won't hit their promised dates or don't care to let you know that until you've made the purchase.

Experienced this many times buying tech goods. They lock in the order and fulfill when they can.

Wish everyone the best. I got sick, doctor was concerned and I went to a central test site. Was tested and stayed in isolation for 6 days, meals in bedroom ect... Missed 4 days of work. My family stayed at home the whole time in case they were exposed. Test was negative and now cleared to work again. And I could still get the stupid bug !

Multiply that loss by the 100's of thousands. Not sure turning everything off is the right solution. Perhaps we should be looking at going back to 75% normal without restaurant dining rooms, big crowds, ect... But everyone goes to work unless sick and we isolate the vulnerable. Mobilize and produce for the medical needs that are coming.

My state appeared to give up on isolating individual cases when there were still a very small number of them.

{...}
Amazon cancelled grocery deliveries too. Just too much demand for delivery systems nobody used till now. If companies are smart they will hire more drivers and adapt revenue streams. But that will take time.

With in-store inventory, consumers can't keep up this level of buying forever. We are not eating and pooing any more than before. The demand spiked suddenly due to recent news, but can't remain that high continuously.

Many stores have gone to limiting how much you can purchase at a time. There, of course, are ways around it, and the hoarding continues: partly because of the induced panic buying, partly because others see product not on the shelves, so they grab all they can get away with, in a panic of not getting it because of the panicked hoarders.

Costco, from what I understand, won't accept returns. Walmart trashes returns into locked dumpsters. This, I believe is because they don't want to accept potentially virus contaminated returns. (Some have complained about Walmart doing this instead of passing food on to those who need it (charity) but they forget the potential for contamination.)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Combine that with people hoarding items because the media induces a panic and we have the situation we are in.

I don't think this is worse due to the actual virus. I think its worse due to people being idiots.
Agreed, but I don't think it's the media's fault. I haven't heard any "OMG, run for the hills!" type of reporting. It's all been factual, but the difference is that there's been enough coverage that folks who don't normally pay attention to the news have suddenly taken notice and generally over-reacted, on the basis of little information.

When I've gone shopping, I've made a conscious decision to buy only what I'm likely to need in the next 2 weeks. It helps that I buy some of my food online or at wholesale, and in bulk. So, I already had a lot of what I need. ...but not toilet paper. Doh! What a time to be on my last roll!

(I did eventually find toilet paper, at which point I bought only one 6-pack. I'm confident that'll last me until the demand settles out.)

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's true, but some of the food & paper supply was previously going to schools, restaurants, office cafeterias. That will need to be rerouted and packaged for individual consumer purchase.