News Amazon: Don't Blame New World for GPU Deaths, Blame Card Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bollwerk

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
There are some bugs with the game client regarding graphics and resolutions, but I agree that shouldn't kill cards. Hardware should be designed in a way to protect itself, and cards generally are. If cards are dying, then it's definitely faulty card design.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Strong disagree. Even if New World is revealing manufacturing defects in certain cards, the fact remains that these issues are largely exclusive to New World - no other game, not even demanding ones, cause the GPU to run so hard. While the game is running, you can watch your GPU's power usage regularly spike to 15-20% above its set limits, and that kind of cycle for an extended period of time will wear down the hardware (just like how turning a light bulb on and off will cause it to wear out faster than just leaving it on). Even cards that don't get bricked outright will still see their lifespans reduced as a result of this aggressive repeated power spiking.

Anecdotally, the only time I've ever heard my computer's fans ramp up so hard for so long as when playing New World is when I'm running extended benchmarks, and games should not be running like benchmarks. I've since enabled the 60 FPS cap, and now my computer runs much more in line with its usual behavior when playing other games. (I've got a Ryzen 9 5950X and an ASUS RTX 2080 Ti.)

Reactions: ConfusedCounsel
Strong disagree. Even if New World is revealing manufacturing defects in certain cards, the fact remains that these issues are largely exclusive to New World - no other game, not even demanding ones, cause the GPU to run so hard. While the game is running, you can watch your GPU's power usage regularly spike to 15-20% above its set limits, and that kind of cycle for an extended period of time will wear down the hardware (just like how turning a light bulb on and off will cause it to wear out faster than just leaving it on). Even cards that don't get bricked outright will still see their lifespans reduced as a result of this aggressive repeated power spiking.

Anecdotally, the only time I've ever heard my computer's fans ramp up so hard for so long as when playing New World is when I'm running extended benchmarks, and games should not be running like benchmarks. I've since enabled the 60 FPS cap, and now my computer runs much more in line with its usual behavior when playing other games. (I've got a Ryzen 9 5950X and an ASUS RTX 2080 Ti.)
But this isn't the fault of software. Software literally cannot cause power spikes because it's binary data being processed by the hardware. It's the hardware going "well, I can probably handle it" and decides to ramp up significantly until it realizes "oh shoot, maybe this wasn't a good idea."

Otherwise Intel shouldn't have been the beatings it has for its hardware faults (mostly looking at the F00F bug). The obvious solution is just make sure software doesn't do those bad things so hardware manufacturers can continue finding ways to slack off on safely containing 300+ watts in a small package.

"In the last few days, we have received few reports from players who have had problems with their GeForce RTX cards. After extensive investigation, we were unable to identify any unusual behavior on the part of New World that could be the cause of these problems. EVGA has already confirmed errors in the production of some GeForce RTX cards. New World can be played safely. For players who have encountered a hardware failure, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer." —Amazon

this is legit BS trying to escape guilt.

There is a video of proof that the game ignores actual gpu settigns and will upscale the game to a resolution you dont even have the settign enabled for by default.
as well as ignoring power limits on gpu's settigns.

Its both makers AND amazons fault as it took poor coding to reveal a flaw but the game is the culprit causing those flaws to be an issue.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
and this kind of attitude from amazon is why i will not buy new world. software can and has killed hardware in the past. dont believe me? look up furmark killing gpus. I think that Jay is correct in saying that both amazon and card manufacturers are at fault here and instead of pointing fingers at each other, they need to come together and create a fix

Reactions: prtskg and renz496

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
But this isn't the fault of software. Software literally cannot cause power spikes because it's binary data being processed by the hardware. It's the hardware going "well, I can probably handle it" and decides to ramp up significantly until it realizes "oh shoot, maybe this wasn't a good idea."

Otherwise Intel shouldn't have been the beatings it has for its hardware faults (mostly looking at the F00F bug). The obvious solution is just make sure software doesn't do those bad things so hardware manufacturers can continue finding ways to slack off on safely containing 300+ watts in a small package.

If the software is inadvertently exposing a hardware fault, then it's a problem of the hardware. If the software is deliberately exposing a hardware fault, then it's a problem of the hardware and the software.

Your hardware shouldn't allow you to run 20% above the allowed power limit in the first place.

The hardware running above given limits is literally what boosting does. The difference is that GPUs are designed to boost in short spurts, not be running in boost mode all the time.

The only reason the software should be blamed would be if they put in something to hack the hardware drivers. All game makers should be trying to optimize their games to get the best perceptible performance.

Why should we believe that they didn't "hack the hardware drivers" when literally no other game on the market is behaving this way? Amazon is effectively banking its entire future as a game studio on this one title, so it's in their best interest to deny any and all guilt in PR nightmares of this magnitude.

Furthermore, there's a difference between aggressive optimization and telling the card to literally overclock itself to death.

This is the same as someone running Furmark (or any piece of software that puts any load on the CPU) and having a CPU burn itself out instead of auto-shutdown when it reaches it's own max designed temperature. Except for that doesn't happen since Intel and AMD actually make sure they have good enough limits to not kill themselves. I don't know if it's an Nvidia issue or a board partner issues, but its definitely a board issue.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Which makes sense. Software should be able to do whatever the heck it wants to on hardware and if hardware can't cope, it's bad hardware design.

No. Watch this video from JayzTwoCents.
View: https://youtu.be/6A0sLVgJ7qU
It shows the game over-powering an MSI and EVGA card by 20%. That is 70 to 75 more Watts than either wanted the card to handle. If you keep hitting a cards OPP it will break.

Think of it this way, if I keep over reving my engine, eventually I am going to blow a seal.

More importantly, why the heck is game with a GTX 970 as the "recommended" card - 150 Watts if you don't remember 2014 - overpowering cards significantly faster modern cards?

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Anecdotally, the only time I've ever heard my computer's fans ramp up so hard for so long as when playing New World is when I'm running extended benchmarks, and games should not be running like benchmarks.

I strongly agree.

Also why is a game designed to run a "recommended" GTX 970 taxing a 2080 TI. It should be able to handle the game without breaking a sweat.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Furthermore, there's a difference between aggressive optimization and telling the card to literally overclock itself to death.

Yes, the second exposes you to legal liability. Just like flashing your cars CPU with a Cobb Tuner voids your warranty. Making hardware do something it was not designed to do is asking for it to break.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I generally don't believe that games will kill GPUs until this issue happened. FurMark is an example of a software that can damage hardware, but that is a benchmark/ stress test. A messed up driver can fry your GPU too, but this issue with New World just proves that a badly coded software (including games) can kill hardware too.

I do partially agree that there is some hardware issue/ weakness in play here, but the game itself is problematic. For example as JayZ pointed out, I've never seen any games that I've played stressing the GPU that much in the menu screen. GPU usually only loads up to 100% when the actual gameplay starts. And the frequent power spikes is also quite odd. In all the games I've played, the power draw tends to be consistent, at least when monitoring the trend graph provided by Afterburner. It may not be polling fast enough to capture these minute spikes, but this power spike issue was very obvious in JayZ's video and happens very frequently.

I think best to avoid this game to avoid frying your GPU at a time when GPU costs a bomb, and/or, very low in supply.

So much ignorance in this thread, oh my goodness...

This is a hardware/driver problem with nVidia and their AIBs. Period.

New World can be coded like crap, much like any school/uni project can. It should not be able to override or bypass HARDWARE protections. How is that hard to understand?

In Jay's video, he only found a bug with Afterburner and EVGA cards. He should've been using Precision instead. And no one here has any idea how the game itself was coded. And it shouldn't matter. Power Virus or not, it must not be able to kill a GPU so easily.

Regards.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
this is legit BS trying to escape guilt.

There is a video of proof that the game ignores actual gpu settigns and will upscale the game to a resolution you dont even have the settign enabled for by default.
as well as ignoring power limits on gpu's settigns.

Its both makers AND amazons fault as it took poor coding to reveal a flaw but the game is the culprit causing those flaws to be an issue.

If you are referring to Jayztwocents video regarding 'upscale the game to a resolution you don't even have'; he is using the Corsair monitor that he reviewed a few days prior and that monitor has a maximum resolution of 3840x2160. CORSAIR XENEON 32QHD165 Gaming Monitor

D

Deleted member 1353997

As a software developer, I agree with Amazon on this one. Software should never cause hardware to run past their limits. If they do, that's because they stumbled across a bug that allows them to. Such bugs should be squashed as soon as possible, as they can be exploited by malware for various purposes.

You could argue that the malware is at fault for killing your hardware, or admit that your hardware has a flaw that allows malware to do what it wants.

If you guys don't want to play New World, that's fine, nobody's forcing you to. I don't want to play the game either, because I have 0 interest in MMOs, much less New World. But suggesting Amazon must fix New World is <Mod Edit>. So what if you do fix New World? Tomorrow, we'll have a new class of malware called: "Threatware" that'll threaten to kill your GPU like New World did, and it'll work because we still haven't fixed our GPUs.

This thinking is like 99% of beginner programmers'. "Oh, my software crashes! Let me put this in a try-catch real quick, then it won't crash anymore... wait, why is my software not behaving like I want it to anymore?" Because you chose to ignore the bug, rather than fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
If the software is "ignoring" the hardware's limits and still damaging the cards, then the hardware limits are improperly designed, as the software shouldn't have that option. The ball still remains in the hardware designers court to get the restrictions properly implemented.

If cards are still burning out despite supposed "fixes", then they weren't really fixed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.