Amazon Echo Flaw Allowed For Silent Eavesdropping Of Users' Conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
It is NOT a flaw when it is a intentionally made as a government backdoor that they hoped would not be found.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Not in the least. I warned of this exact thing back when the Echo first launched....

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The same is the case with a lot of malware that targets Windows systems.....

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
What I don't understand is, if a stranger were hanging around your home, peaking in your windows and using listening devices and cameras/video and you knew it, you would be angry like a wounded bear. Actions would include confronting the creep in anger, physical violence, calling of police and/or shooting, clubbing or stabbing the sob, among other thing.

Yet people continue to bring these thoroughly invasive devices into their home and pay to do it.

stu·pid·i·ty
[st(y)o?o?pid?d?]
NOUN

behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment.
"I can't believe my own stupidity" · [more]
synonyms: lack of intelligence · unintelligence · foolishness · denseness · brainlessness · ignorance · mindlessness · dull-wittedness · dull-headedness · dullness · slow-wittedness · doltishness · [more]
the quality of being stupid or unintelligent.
"a comedy of infantile stupidity"

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Except that you miss the simple fact that Amazon can choose to use the Echo is precisely the same way as any "malicious skill" could.... This is what the Echo was designed for. To listen in on customers. Is there any proof that Amazon isn't already doing this themselves? Or whether they have plans to at some point? Good security "sense" would include not buying such a device to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.