Amazon Faces Backlash Over 'Rekognition' Software's Use By Law Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
I'm totally against law enforcement (and even private companies) from using facial recognition...
...But I'm pretty sure facial recognition is technically incapable of helping law enforcement "round up" and deport undocumented aliens, since law enforcement wouldn't have their picture in the first place.
It might help them find people who are abusing expired visas, but that is a totally separate issue to "whatever thing Trump may or may not have done that is being used to tear America apart, this week (TM)".

As I stated before, I'm quite sure that face recognition WILL be used by law enforcement, either developed by Amazon, another company, or in-house government developement. I'd rather have them use a known version with public information on detection success/failure rate. A software that can be studied by scientists and lawyers/judges/etc.

Better to know exactly the demon we will be facin, than having a top secret software be used and abused.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Given that the face recognition used by British police generates about 90% false positives (person X in view is falsely identified as a specific registered individual) the protests are well motivated.

Amazon to these shraeholders, no way in hell!

This technology would push Amazon the company to a new level. There is no way in hell they will back track.

From Amazon or any other company, this is going to be an eventuality. Face recognition drones/camera/robot are going to be a thing. If you think Mirror's Edge or Deus Ex is sci-fi, you are in for a good surprise.

5 years, only 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.