Amazon Leaks Crucial's MX300 750GB Specs And Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Ofcourse. It is in the same segment, so it has to be prised accordingly.
The interesting part will be how well it will compare technologically and what the real selling prise will be and what Samsung will do, when there now finally is some competition.

That's the launch price, SSDs usually get significantly cheaper within a couple months.

The "date first available - 8 April" is probably just when it was added to their system? It's obviously not even available today.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Compared to the 500 MB MX200, it's on par (at today's prices, that's $0.278/GB for the MX200 and $0.277/GB for the MX300). But the disparity between list prices is rather surprising. The M300's stated price of $447.78 is $0.597/GB vs. $0.360/GB for the MX200.

And since the stated performance numbers are roughly equivalent (both limited by SATA 3), the main selling point of the MX300, in this form factor, has got to be $ per GB.

Perhaps it'd be more useful to compare it with the 1 TB MX200, but I was just curious how it compared with the 500 GB MX200's I recently bought.

Prices are indeed getting better but for bulk storage the mechanical hdd's are still holding their size per dollar lead by around 5x the size per dollar. $0.277/gb vs $0.054/gb for something like a wd blue 1tb 7200rpm. They still have a long way to go before they're priced for bulk storage imo.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Sure, though mechanical HDD are nearly maxed out, density-wise. At least SSDs still have potential for improvement.

I do have a mechanical RAID, and I plan to upgrade it at least one more time. But I'm using HDDs less and less, these days.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Sure, though mechanical HDD are nearly maxed out, density-wise. At least SSDs still have potential for improvement.
HDDs still have a way to go for density. We haven't even seen the first HAMR drives in mainstream yet, which will take drives to 20TB and beyond. Still won't hold a candle to SSDs on the low-end though. Hopefully a 10TB SSD will be sub-$500 sometime soon though.

Justin Goldberg

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2014
There's recent thread on webhostingtalk talking about Crucial SSD. There's some good and some bad reviews.

Just be sure that they come shipped in anti-static bags.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

Imagine the capacity that a 3.5' SSD would have, it would be like 80+TB easily

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was already accounting for HAMR, when I said that. The trouble is, it's expensive, tricky, and slow. That's why it hasn't been done 'till now. It's basically the last trick that HDD manufacturers have left in their bag.

BTW, I'm not counting theoretical ideas, like BPM, that have yet to be demonstrated in a HDD, much less proven practical & cost-effective.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I would pay no more than $150 for a 512GB SSD. Regardless of whatever new tech these manufacturers call themselves including in the SSDs, that shouldn't be a reason to inflate the price especially how long SSDs been on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.