Amazon Listing Reveals Several Windows 8 Packages

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
Wait a minute, Windows 8 doesn't cost 300 to 500 US Dollars? What gives? If it's 69.99 I just might buy it! LOL Oh wait.. if it's just an upgrade and not stand-alone then I don't know. Can anyone confirm this?

"the Windows 8 Pro edition will cost owners of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 $39.99 if they download the product online. Alternatively, it'll cost $69.99 to buy the operating system in a physical media capacity."

Did someone finally give Microsoft an earfull about thier crazy prices?

I haven't seen them price an OS that low since Windows ME and plenty of us know how that OS was... Can you say trainwreck? Maybe they are anticipating that it will suck. Either way I'm not gonna jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon anytime soon (if ever).

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"the Windows 8 Pro edition will cost owners of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 $39.99 if they download the product online. Alternatively, it'll cost $69.99 to buy the operating system in a physical media capacity."Did someone finally give Microsoft an earfull about thier crazy prices?[/citation]
Or maybe they are keeping the prices low because of the negative reaction.

ankaj

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Wait a minute, Windows 8 doesn't cost 300 to 500 US Dollars? What gives? If it's 69.99 I just might buy it! LOL Oh wait.. if it's just an upgrade and not stand-alone then I don't know. Can anyone confirm this?[/citation]
For these prices you have to be upgrading from xp/vixta/7. To my knowledge it will be a fully functioning version of the os with the only requirement being you had to have a windows operating system before.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Oh, my God, the Windows 8 crap avalanche! Amazon... this... Lenovo that... Logitech.... more...

How about some real tech products news? The only non-Windows 8 shiny new crap news are that IBM introduces new storage devices.

G

There is something weird about the $40 version right? I thought I remember it missing something like media center....not sure can someone confirm?

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Running 8400 right now. Anyone know when it will expire?

BTW: Once u uninstall all the MS metro crap tiles and customize it to your own its really slick. Every toms post about W8 gets flooded with BS but it stands as the best OS Ive ever experienced.

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Or maybe they are keeping the prices low because of the negative reaction.[/citation]

This ^^

And at this price point, it will catch a lot of attention. This was a smart move considering MS would love nothing more than for Windows 8 to flood the market and be the new OS of choice.

But there's simply no price point that's going to get me to put a OS that should be aimed ONLY on mobile devices on my desktop. Ever. Period. The End.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ankaj[/nom]For these prices you have to be upgrading from xp/vixta/7. To my knowledge it will be a fully functioning version of the os with the only requirement being you had to have a windows operating system before.[/citation]
I wonder if the upgrade trick will still work - install the OS as a trial (I think you now have to put in a key, so just don't activate), and then install over it and activate.

Of course, I'm not installing a tablet OS on my desktop anyway, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.