Amazon Lists Core i9-9900K For $582.50

scottybhoy85

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hopefully, this is a holding price. An I7 branded as an I9 at near I9 prices.

Looks like I'll just get an 8700k to replace my aging 4690k

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Intel's new Core i9-9900K packaging is obviously a direct response to AMD's impressive Threadripper packaging that has set a new bar for the processor market.

I'm sorry...but anyone who's concerned about the packaging that their CPU is shipped in, which is going straight into the trash anyway once you build your machine, has the wrong priorities when it comes to purchasing PC equipment.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Indeed, do all the buyers a favor and chop 5 bucks off the oem price and ship it in the cheapest, but safe, packaging you can come up with.

I think Amazon removed it. I don't expect this to be the going rate for a i9-9900K. Intel can only milk a mainstream 8-core so much. If someone was really worried about budget I recommend waiting until AMD outs there Zen 2 Ryzen 8-core as that should rein in the 9900K pricing a bit.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Who buys a cpu based on the packaging design they see on a store shelf? What a waste of money. All this does is give me more trash to throw out. If you want to copy AMD, make a better product. Don't copy the dumb stuff AMD is doing.

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Man. I still got a 4.4Ghz i54690K also... It's served me well, but showing its age..

g-unit1111

Titan

*NEVER* throw out the CPU boxes. Or at least copy down the serial numbers before you throw the box out, because if your CPU ever goes bad you will need all the numbers off those boxes to get an RMA.

Yeah I agree, the packaging is dumb, but it is the last thing to complain about on a new CPU.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"*NEVER* throw out the CPU boxes. Or at least copy down the serial numbers before you throw the box out, because if your CPU ever goes bad you will need all the numbers off those boxes to get an RMA. "

The serial number should be on the heat spreader. Unless you have scratched it off...you shouldnt need the box to RMA.

That said, i personally do keep my boxes from the most recent computer hardware i buy(untill the waranty periods expire). In case i have to RMA, its nice to send it back in origional packaging. Then they cant say i have improperly packaged it.

Khaydin1

Prominent
May 26, 2017
I just want companies to stop with the crazy packaging. I want them to stop worrying about my unboxing experience. I want to stop PAYING for something that has nothing to do with the product. I just want the product. Don't want any extra stuff. There is nothing wrong with the current Intel CPU packaging. How much could be shaved off the price if they sold these in a plain brown box?

zenmas95

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
For that price you can get a AMD 2700X ,gigabyte x470 gaming pro 7 MB and a corsair AIO 280mm cooler
that's what I've done and loving it.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
The AMD cooler is very good. I can't believe the one-upmanship in computer parts nowadays. The 9900k should be $400. I'm sticking with the 8700k. Garbage price increases for video cards and CPU's this year. I think I won't buy anything but AMD next time (I have Intel and nVidia right now, but they are making me angry).

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
$580!! Great, that will be something like $7,756 Canadian.

That's like 80% higher than a R7 2700x ..for that price it better game better than a 7700k and multitask like a 12 core Threadripper ... that can't possibly be the price ...

I also don't get the 95w TDP. Now that Intel bases its TDP solely on base frequencies, this thing with 4.7 all core boost, will need probably close to double that in cooling else it will be throttle city and won't perform nearly as expected.

That said, I would like to see some benchmarks on something like 20 minute WPrime run with a relatively inexpensive air cooler, so we can gauge where the performance cutoff will be on the cooling end. There's so many facets to real benchmarking that go out the window because everyone is "rushing" the reviews or the manufacturer is "guiding" the testing done.

Just look at the Threadripper 299WX game performance issue. No one even noticed that the issue was entirely nvidia's fault because the 1080Ti that almost no one owns is the only card tested ... Hardware Canucks used to have by far the most thorough reviews, but now they don't write them and their videos usually aren't as "full" as their written articles used to be. I miss those old reviews done right.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm a little surprised Intel didn't debut weird packaging with the 40th anniversary 8086K, considering that's at least possible to look at as a collectible. This 9900K is merely a top end mainstream CPU that will be replaced next year by another top-end mainstream CPU.

Should be quite a beast though, 4.7Ghz all core turbo is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering it's 8 cores. AMD's not going to be able to touch this in a lot of tasks for quite a while. That being said, there's no way Intel would have shipped something like the 9900k within the next year or two if it wasn't for AMD putting on the pressure with some actual competition. And at $300 the 2700x certainly still has a place in the market as the "value" option, even if it's not remotely competitive any longer for the performance crown.

zenmas95

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018