Amazon Offers Unlimited Cloud Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

leevaq

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Worth noting that Microsoft OneDrive also provides unlimited cloud storage when you sign up for a personal Office365 account. 99/year, so its more than amazon, but you also get full Office licenses for that fee.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Didn't mention Onedrive at all..

Onedrive still has the best deal. Even if you dont guy office, your getting a lot of free space..

Then you can buy office 365 if you need more. Onedrive is built into windows, which is where most power users will manage and upload their files.

Amazon's Photo Prime storage is very convenient. I open the app on my iphone about once a week and all my photo's are uploaded. I wish they would bump up the video to 100GB at least tho.

DasBoot

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Worth noting that Microsoft OneDrive also provides unlimited cloud storage when you sign up for a personal Office365 account. 99/year, so its more than amazon, but you also get full Office licenses for that fee.
Not unlimited but 1TB of storage

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Not unlimited but 1TB of storage

It's actually 1TB for personal/home use editions and unlimited for business. Even so, I doubt many consumers will use all of 1TB and keeping in mind that Office 365 Home can be shared between 5 different people in the home (as opposed to 1 user - 5 devices for Business), you can have up to 5 different users all with genuine Office apps and 1TB of storage each. It's still the best deal by miles.

dscott-sq

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
I think the OneDrive comments need recalibration:
- 15 GB for free with MS Account
- Unlimited for Office 365 Accounts
I currently have 10 TB allocated to my Home O 365 account as I started to approach 1TB and requested more.
I think there are many options for cloud storage, but so far MS looks to have the most versatility and price.

garth25

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
I have unlimited on OneDrive. An initial "bucket" of 10tb expandable upon request.

I'm currently using 6tb.

The most notable thing was the upload speed. Very fast.

I'll admit I was skeptical but the $69 I paid is being well served.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, but ISP data caps still apply and so uploading 6TB or 1TB would take months for many. Sure if you are the only one using a data connection it would be better, but with streaming and gaming unless you can use your work access. How long do they keep your data around if you fail/forget to pay? I think a personal Cloud is best as you can load locally.

garth25

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
I have a local Open Media Vault NAS server with 20tb capacity.

My upstream is 50mb. Local users haven't been effected (lots of Prime and Netflix).

We dont have caps locally thankfully.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I use online file storage for school docs and auto upload of my photos from my phone. That's it.

I have no desire to store my movie collection of game collection on the cloud. Who in the right mind wants to download their files when they need them, every time.

Cloud storage is great but would be even greater once the average user has gigabit down and up speed. I want to have an online storage drive 'mapped' like a local share drive without sacrificing performance. Instant access. Right now, local storage is just better.

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Through Google for business, I have unlimited Google Drive Storage, which means unlimited photos AND Videos and Other Random Files

Arctican

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
It seems that nobody has included the cost for exceeding the monthly data traffic (aka bandwidth) limits that some ISPs limit their customers to. Typically, the more you pay each month for your Internet access, the higher your monthly limit. However, if you have a large amount of data to upload to the Cloud (even if "only" 1 TB), these ISPs' charges for exceeding their monthly traffic limits could be very expensive. Combining the cost of the Cloud storage and the ISPs excess traffic charges, local or NAS storage would be FAR cheaper than any paid online storage. Of course, no extra costs if you have no monthly traffic limit.

Another consideration is the speed throttling that some ISPs impose on their customers who are consuming large amounts of bandwidth at any time (some ISPs only apply throttling after a certain threshold amount of traffic). @garth25 refers to his paid Cloud service as providing about 50GB upload over 24 hrs. If that speed is not throttled, and didn't vary due to local and/or provider traffic, it would take 3 weeks to upload 1 TB of data. If throttling applied, that could turn into months. Worse, if uploading to the Cloud affected speeds for other users on your LAN, there might be a rebellion!

Bottom line? Cloud storage doesn't appear to be feasible for large amounts of data, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.