Amazon Officially Unveils the Fire Phone Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Just like the Kindle Fire, it will be a heavily forked version of Android. That unifies the customer experience across devices. Even though WP8.1 is cool, using it would fragment the service, so no

dstarr3

Distinguished
The good price makes sense. Obviously by owning an AT&T phone, you're locked in to giving AT&T your money for so long. That's why it's not so difficult to get phones for free. And by owning an Amazon phone, you're pretty much volunteering to shop nearly exclusively through Amazon because of the convenience. So they get guaranteed income out of the deal, as well.

Good on them for producing a reasonable product for a reasonable price, anyway.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
looks like a decent phone, but I wont be getting or consider getting one since i wont touch AT&T even with a long stick. $200-$300 on contract is also a tad high. maybe Im used to Amazons good tablet and ereader deals, but I expected amazon to do better pricing for their first phone.

stormweaver1983

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
looks like a decent phone, but I wont be getting or consider getting one since i wont touch AT&T even with a long stick. $200-$300 on contract is also a tad high. maybe Im used to Amazons good tablet and ereader deals, but I expected amazon to do better pricing for their first phone.

My thoughts exactly. Amazon is basically guaranteeing itself extra income from the buyers of the phone. Why is it selling for the same price as a full flagship phone then? It should have started at $99 at most. Also like you, I will never touch an AT&T contract.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
As far as the resolution is concerned, there's HD (720p), FHD (1080p), QHD (1440p), and now UHD (2160p).

This phone has the same resolution as my S3 (unless they mean FHD) which makes the display tech 2-3yrs old.

Dextron

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Is seems like the advertising you do yourself!
I don't want a phone that is design to try and constantly sell me things.
It'd be like being followed around by an everything-salesman.
Would like to have a look at that 3D though...

g-unit1111

Titan

Totally agree, you wouldn't be able to keep these things on the shelf if that had been the case. Making this an AT&T exclusive deal will probably prove to be a colossal failure.

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Not impressed, seems too gimicky to me.
I mean, at least its attempting to do something more innovative with the 3-D stuff.
Good an amazon for attempting to be a competitor IMO, even if you don't get a fire phone, you will likely get the benefit of more competition in the mobile space.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think anyone was over-the-top excited about this phone and I can't imagine anyone will be after seeing the specs and price. It remains to be seen how developers will use the "3D" feature but I can't imagine this will be the same kind of successful product that Kindle has been. The Kindle Fire line has been a success due to the low cost of the devices and the . $199-$299 on contract and $649-$749 off contract is nowhere near budget-device level.

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Nothing Android and iOS didn't do. Nothing special.

In my very own opinion, any company trying to come out with new smart phones (new companies that is) will have a 99% failing rate. iOS has cemented themselves over the years and there will always be iPhone. Android, has competition. Samsung S5, Lg G2/G3 (soon) Sony Z1/Z2 etc. I don't think I will ever buy an Amazon phone. Sticking to LG/Samsung devices until something new makes me wet my pants.

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
i wonder how the batt life on this one is? with all those infra camera, also, at least one camera should be covered while you would hold the phone normally..
it did state the extra cameras aren't the same and are "10x more efficient" than the cameras normally used, plus they would only turn on when you are using them. So theoretically its not going to have terrible battery life from the cameras, i could be wrong however, they didn't say a word about the battery life of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.