News Amazon Patches New World to Solve "Dying RTX 3090" Dilemma

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would seem to me as an outsider looking in, that if Amazon released a patch, that they were aware of some manner of issue in the code/execution from the start?

There was a bit of a joke passed around in another thread about this concerning them doing some 'sneaky mining' in the background. Sure seems a bit more probable now, eh?

Amazon should be footing the bill since it's their game that killed these GPU's and I suspect that's Nvidia will do. They will have Amazon foot the bill for the replacements.
There's no legal background for that, sadly for 3090 owners. The game was just using an API that the cards support. It's up to nVidia to know how to protect the hardware and the AIB's.

Regards.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
There's no legal background for that, sadly for 3090 owners. The game was just using an API that the cards support. It's up to nVidia to know how to protect the hardware and the AIB's.

Regards.
There doesn't need to be a legal background. There's always a first time for everything. The fact of the matter is, a certain GPU failed running a particular application. In this case it was an Amazon game. At first Amazon brushed it aside then they offered a temporary solution followed by releasing a patch to fix it.

(I know, here comes the dreaded car analogy) It's like if I bought a new car and raced the engine close to or past the redline in neutral. Something eventually failed and I then want the car company to fix it under warranty. I caused the problem but I want someone else to foot the bill. It's Amazon's application that was the cause of the problem. I would not be surprised if the beancounters at Nvidia will be giving Amazon their bill for those damaged GPU's.

Reactions: Memnarchon
There doesn't need to be a legal background. There's always a first time for everything. The fact of the matter is, a certain GPU failed running a particular application. In this case it was an Amazon game. At first Amazon brushed it aside then they offered a temporary solution followed by releasing a patch to fix it.

(I know, here comes the dreaded car analogy) It's like if I bought a new car and raced the engine close to or past the redline in neutral. Something eventually failed and I then want the car company to fix it under warranty. I caused the problem but I want someone else to foot the bill. It's Amazon's application that was the cause of the problem. I would not be surprised if the beancounters at Nvidia will be giving Amazon their bill for those damaged GPU's.
It's not the first time nVidia cards self-combust, so not quite, haha.

Also, your analogy is a bit off, but I can't think of a better one... This is like using your car on the street and then trying to go over the speed limit a bit, it breaks the engine block completely. You were just going on a different street instead of the usual one when it happened.

Amazon has nothing here to be blamed about, seriously. I'm not even trying to be an Amazon apologist. EVGA and nVidia should foot the bill for those cards. Period. Fortunately, most of those should be within warranty period still.

Regards.

If there were hundreds of dead GPUs, maybe Nvidia (more likely EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or whoever the card vendor was) would do that. If it's a few dozen or less? It's not worth the trouble and loss of goodwill. Yes, that's potentially tens of thousands of dollars. Which is still nothing compared to all the support staff and other employees that work at any moderately sized graphics card company. It sounds like EVGA's factory overclocked cards may have been more susceptible than other vendors' 3090 cards as well, which could mean it's not directly Nvidia's fault.

duffer9999

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
It's not the first time nVidia cards self-combust, so not quite, haha.

Also, your analogy is a bit off, but I can't think of a better one... This is like using your car on the street and then trying to go over the speed limit a bit, it breaks the engine block completely. You were just going on a different street instead of the usual one when it happened.

Amazon has nothing here to be blamed about, seriously. I'm not even trying to be an Amazon apologist. EVGA and nVidia should foot the bill for those cards. Period. Fortunately, most of those should be within warranty period still.

Regards.

Here's a better car analogy:

If you drive your car on the autobahn with no speed limit (the game) and you blow up your cars engine (the card) its you own damn fault. Sorry Nvidia should have speed limiters if its going to blow up their cards.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Here's a better car analogy:

If you drive your car on the autobahn with no speed limit (the game) and you blow up your cars engine (the card) its you own damn fault. Sorry Nvidia should have speed limiters if its going to blow up their cards.
It wasn't Nvidia cards that blew up. It was EVGA cards that blew. If no other brand was affected, it was design flaw in Evga's implementation, which isn't the fault of Nvidia. If a tuner company removes the factory speed limiter from your Mercedes, then it isn't Mercedes' fault if your engine blows up.

It wasn't Nvidia cards that blew up. It was EVGA cards that blew. If no other brand was affected, it was design flaw in Evga's implementation, which isn't the fault of Nvidia. If a tuner company removes the factory speed limiter from your Mercedes, then it isn't Mercedes' fault if your engine blows up.
It is when it's AMG.

In this case, from what I've been reading, looks like EVGA does get all their designs approved by nVidia, so...

Regards.

Reactions: artk2219

nitts999

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
I once ran a game on my Intel NUC with embedded graphics and the game ran slowly and maxed out my CPU and GPU. Should I send the bill for a new one to Amazon? Intel? Oh wait, nevermind, the CPU/GPU just ran at 100% until I turned off the game, so no big deal.

If your card blows up because it can't handle running at 100%, then it's a flaw in the card.

This is like saying I tried to download a file too fast so my modem blew up and now I want to sue the website for trying to let me download faster than my modem could go.

As for NVIDIA "forcing" Amazon to foot the bill, that is laughably naive.

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Should find out of any of the cards have been returned to the manufacturer or nVidia for failure analysis. Then we won't have to speculate as to who's responsibility it is.

Reactions: mogster
for those blaming nvidia...
they do protect the cards under normal situations.

gpu have safety limits in place where if get too hot or soemthign they throttle hard to try to combat that.

but 3rd party cards and "oc" cards particular are not "in spec" and pushing a card past that spec can casue issues.

on top of a game that controls the gpu w/o limits in this case is bad.

Nvidia in past had a similar issue (2070 i think time?) where cards were boosting too high and becoming unstable so they had to firmware patch their max speed lwoer to prevent that happening.

Amazon shares fault though. No reason to not have a frame cap on a menu (as no point to pushing that many frames just heats up card pointlessly)

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I was going to say, lol.

It's a friggen' $1500+ USD card. How the hell can it die so easily from this? I'm sure that this is not the only game which doesn't cap the menu framerate.

Regards.
This is not an Nvidia issue at all. It's the card manufacturer's problem. All Nvidia does is provide the GPU die's to the AIB's. The AIB's then design and build the card around the Die provided by Nvidia. It's EVGA's greed that those 3090 FTW3 cards fried. They used the cheap parts on a high end GPU.

Geef

Distinguished
You guy might have missed that they are saying it only happened to 3090 cards. That might be because 3090 cards might not be built with limiters and are made to go full blast since they assume a person spending that kind of cash on a video card would have good cooling.

Normal video cards even 3080s hit a certain temp and then slow down to cool. My 5700XT waits until it hits 100c before doing it. Luckily I undervolt and the temps never reach that.

If there were hundreds of dead GPUs, maybe Nvidia (more likely EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or whoever the card vendor was) would do that. If it's a few dozen or less? It's not worth the trouble and loss of goodwill. Yes, that's potentially tens of thousands of dollars. Which is still nothing compared to all the support staff and other employees that work at any moderately sized graphics card company. It sounds like EVGA's factory overclocked cards may have been more susceptible than other vendors' 3090 cards as well, which could mean it's not directly Nvidia's fault.

This is really messed up indeed, but for me that does not mean one can finger EVGA either. I mean many of those people having this issue with New World, have probably already played other games for hundred of hours without problems with the same RTX 3090.

The issue could be related to the software, and/or power delivering of the GPU, and/or the cables coming from the PSU, and the fact that it was probably 1000 FPS and 100% utilization in the menu.

Wish we get a clear answer on whats going on eventually.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Amazon should be footing the bill since it's their game that killed these GPU's and I suspect that's Nvidia will do. They will have Amazon foot the bill for the replacements.
No freaking way. It is Nvidia's job to ensure that the hardware and drivers are able to take whatever pounding applications throw at them and take whatever preventative measures may be required to prevent damage. Software developers writing mostly hardware-agnostic code that works across all GPUs have no way of knowing what bit of code may cause any given past, present or future GPU to blow a gasket. It is an unrealistic burden to put on them.

andrep74

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I don't think Amazon can be held liable unless it was something they were aware of and nonetheless shipped for people to play test. Just because they released a patch to address the problem doesn't mean that they're admitting any fault.

You can bet that auto manufacturers keep records of how many revolutions of the engine were done at which RPM (bucket), or max cylinder pressure (for turbo-equipped engines), or knock events, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia has something similar.

mogster

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Nvidia in past had a similar issue (2070 i think time?) where cards were boosting too high and becoming unstable so they had to firmware patch their max speed lwoer to prevent that happening.
Also around 2010 with their 8000 GT series. They used the wrong type of solder on the GPU substrate, causing it to fail over time. The "fix" was a series of BIOS updates that made the GPU fan run at 100% all the time.

TRENDING THREADS