News Amazon Prime Day 2020: How to Find the Best Hardware Deals

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I'd add on that don't buy a $300, Wifi 6, tricked-out router or something like that if you only pay for say, 100 Mbps. Or even 400 Mbps. Just like there isn't any point to having a high-end GPU if you have a bad 1080p monitor.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I'd add on that don't buy a $300, Wifi 6, tricked-out router or something like that if you only pay for say, 100 Mbps. Or even 400 Mbps. Just like there isn't any point to having a high-end GPU if you have a bad 1080p monitor.

Its not just about bandwidth to the net for some people. Its about router range. WiFi6 routers carry their signals farther. I purchased a clearance WiFi6 about 6 months ago and it goes well past the distance of migh AC3200 did. I'm only on 220mb internet, but I needed better signal out in the yard and such.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Its not just about bandwidth to the net for some people. Its about router range. WiFi6 routers carry their signals farther. I purchased a clearance WiFi6 about 6 months ago and it goes well past the distance of migh AC3200 did. I'm only on 220mb internet, but I needed better signal out in the yard and such.

Also, a high end router will generally handle heavy traffic better if one runs many devices on their network.

I would say it would be wiser to buy Wifi 6E at this point. But there are multiple reasons to buy a giga speed router for 100Mbps internet connection. This is true if you have a NAS and like a game cache drive on the network, or system backups. Also the latest VR headsets are going to use Wifi 6/6E for wireless (or so the rumor mill says)

Amazon Prime Day used to be good several years ago. Now it's basically Amazon Garage Sale, trying to clear out their unsold junk few wanted in the first place.

You didn't see the first two amazon prime days were they like tried to sell you parts to a Datsun, a sears fridge door seal, or 1000 pack of toilet paper (that would have come in handy last year). The deals the last two years actually have been okay. Not amaze-balls like limited black friday loss leaders. But okay.

That may be the quality of your router more than anything. WiFi 6 mainly benefits from 5GHz signaling improvements for bandwidth and sharing. There's little to no improvements on the 2.4GHz band. And 5GHz is notoriously short even with WiFi 6. Orthogonal and beam forming does help. But of the router test I saw, signal strength only increased ~3dB @ 5Ghz which isn't much at all. 3dB goes quickly distance wise. Increases in speed mainly come from the new signaling standard and not strength (which increases distance typically)

The one exception I'll give to this is if you have a networked NAS and are running something like a game cache for steam. Next gen VR is also supposed to be wireless based on WiGig 6E. So if you go WiFi 6, go for 6E.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
No, this is an annual, or even more often, article type.

Prime Day
Back to School
Black Friday
Presidents Day
Pick Your Nose Day.....

Articles like this have their place.

I'm not saying the article is not useful I'm saying the sales are poorly done and have been for quite a while.

When you look for an item you can not tell it to only look for prime day deals. The same way you can ot just search today's deal or lightning deals.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the problem is amazon's site is simply terrible any day of the week. the filters suck and if you don't know exactly what you want, it can be dang near impossible to just browse and filter down a category to compare.

throw in a big sale and this makes it very hard to even find what is on sale much less something you actually might want.

so the article is being helpful in trying to show you how you can more easily find something you are actually interested in. it's better than clicking the banner and endlessly scrolling page after page.

but amazon's site is simply awful and needs a 100% overhaul to make it actually useful. very poor representation for such a large world wide company.