Amazon Raises Minimum Order For Free Shipping to $35

Status
Not open for further replies.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Sign of the times. This will offset increased shipping costs as well as the additional cost for sending out smaller orders versus larger ones.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I got Prime free for 6 months because I'm a full-time student. After those 6 months, I pay half price for eternity.

I encourage any other students to do this.

I think it's pretty good that they kept this at $25 for over a decade. Most other sites out there are at least $50 or more for free shipping. Well, except Newegg.com on specific items, but that's just electronics. I'll just pile stuff up in my cart until I have $35 to order no biggie. It's still just convenient for me to get everything I need shipped to my door rather than trying to track certain things down at different stores.

D

Deleted member 217926

Guess it's time to suck it up and get Prime. Although I think you should get Prime for free if you spend a certain amount in a year.

Peacelol

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Guess it's time to suck it up and get Prime. Although I think you should get Prime for free if you spend a certain amount in a year.

While Prime is fairly inexpensive, especially considering what you get for the price, I too am surprised something like this hasn't been offered.

Either way it's probably due time to have increased the pricing minimum after so many years, especially since USPS and the like have raised their prices. Prime is still a great way to go, the library of movies & TV shows offered is nearing Netflix's own.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Either way it's probably due time to have increased the pricing minimum after so many years, especially since USPS and the like have raised their prices. Prime is still a great way to go, the library of movies & TV shows offered is nearing Netflix's own.

How is it probably due time? Why are you siding with a corporation about a price increase and giving it justification? Just because other companies are doing it, doesn't mean Amazon has to do it. I understand it from the business perspective but I don't think a customer should ever feel justified with getting a price increase on any service. Who cares if it has been 10 years, if there was free 25% shipping for the rest of my life, I would not complain but rather rejoice. I've had prime for years now so it doesn't affect me but still, that doesn't warrant agreeing with a company on a price hike.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I got Prime free for 6 months because I'm a full-time student. After those 6 months, I pay half price for eternity.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I have to correct you. From Amazon - "Amazon Prime benefits at a cost of $39 a year for up to four years with automatic renewal. After you graduate or at the end of your fourth year of Amazon Student $39 Prime benefits, whichever comes first, your subscription will automatically upgrade on its anniversary date into a full paid subscription for Amazon Prime at $79 a year. "

Peacelol

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
How is it probably due time? Why are you siding with a corporation about a price increase and giving it justification? Just because other companies are doing it, doesn't mean Amazon has to do it. I understand it from the business perspective but I don't think a customer should ever feel justified with getting a price increase on any service. Who cares if it has been 10 years, if there was free 25% shipping for the rest of my life, I would not complain but rather rejoice. I've had prime for years now so it doesn't affect me but still, that doesn't warrant agreeing with a company on a price hike.

I should have rephrased and said it was inevitable.

With that being said it's hardly a "price increase" on a service. It's merely a higher set minimum purchase on check out. I would rather see the minimum set higher in order to better offset their shipping costs vs. them get rid of Super Saver Shipping altogether. Business is business and this change isn't really one that's unreasonable or really gouging the common consumer.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Not like I'm outraged or even upset, but this will negatively affect how often I make small orders from Amazon. Oftentimes I'll order a cable and tack on a flash drive or something to get me over $25. Raise the number to $35 and all of the sudden a $10 or $15 item that I get no longer just takes another small tack on to reach the free shipping mark - it'll take another $20 or so. In many cases in the past where I would check local prices VS Amazon, this would have tipped the scale in favour of a local purchase - so, I guess, local buys more often in the future.

Realistically, this just means that Amazon will stop subsidizing my growing flash drive collection.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I would suspect that is either due to law. I was fortunate as the last time I purchased from Amazon they didn't charge a tax even though they have a facility right up the road from me.

Newegg just recently announced the opening of a facility here as well. I'm elated that they're bringing jobs to my city but on a personal level a bit bummed in that I'll now pay sales tax on my orders.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I have both prime and netflix; while I do love prime shipping and occasionally watch the instant streaming, it no where rivals the amount of content of Netflix. Just sayin.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Meh, I live in Canada and, last I checked, Prime here doesn't stream squat - you pay the fee just to have fast cheap delivery. Only reason I can think of getting it is for some sort of corporate account cardholder where lots of people will be ordering... Or maybe shopaholics.

Status
Not open for further replies.