Amazon Sells 500,000 Kindles in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
$300? There's a sucker born every minute. You can get a netbook for that money that can read ebooks just fine on a bigger, sharper screen and do tons of other things too and isn't really much larger.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
No book ever had the type disappear from the page on me while I was reading it.

No book ever stuck itself closed.

No book ever came with a coin slot to keep on reading it.

I understand e-paper, might even be kinda useful in unconventional settings, but this Kindle e-book concept creeps me out, seriously. And I love Amazon, I'm a very loyal Amazon shopper, yet I won't get anywhere near this 'thing'.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Just don't understand the whole Kindle thing and why people buy it. A book itself is a portable product you just stuff it in your bag and pull it out to read it. When you finish that book you switch it out with a different book. Why pay $300 to digitize something that is already ridiculously easy to do on its own??

How many freaking books can I buy for $300??

knipfty

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Ever try to read on your netbook for a couple of hours or cross country? Or while standing on the train. Or outside on a sunny day? Kindles work just like books. Have a similar form factor and feel like real books.

You can carry around 200 books in a Kindle. No I don't read 200 books at one, but I am reading three right now (and one is a 3600 page trilogy). Books are almost always cheaper than DTB (Dead Tree Books). So over time, you will save money. All the classics are free and available from sources outside of Amazon!

Clearly none of you have ever tried to read on a Kindle, and until you do, you are speaking from ignorance. The screen is sharper than any computer screen. No eye strain. And no you don't need to feed a meter to read your books. And if you wanted to read nothing but free books, you could do that without another dime ever going to Amazon.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
eBook readers certainly have the appeal; they combine the readability of paper with the storage density of computers, with a lasting power somewhere in-between.

Yes, what many people are missing is that a netbook relies on a backlit LCD screen, which will cause eye strain. eBook readers instead use ePaper, which does NOT need a backlight, as its appearance mimics real paper, at a sharpness level rivaling laser printers and done on a hexagonal grid, resulting in strain-free reading.

This also means that they require utterly no power to keep displaying the same page, only to change the displayed page, as the frame display is effectively non-volatile. Hence, should the reader lose power while you were reading, the screen would NOT go blank; it'd just sit there with the current page still displayed. Perhaps better yet, while a netbook might keep you powered for 2-6 hours max depending on your eye fatigue and netbook model, the e-books would last you hundreds or thousands of hours, and have a battery life more of measured in pages read rather than hours displayed.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Talk about ignorance. Kindle is an electronic product that will last maybe 5-6 years before breaking down and needing to be replaced. You are trying to contend that within 5 years you will save $300+ from book purchases alone? Got to be kidding me. Not to mention the hassle of having to transfer all of your purchases to a new device, deal with the hassle of your kindle and every one of your books being stolen, etc, etc, etc.

There is an idiot born every day. At least 500,000.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Your claim is backed on the (as of yet evidence-free) assumption that the device will break down in 5-6 years. And also, each and every one of those comments would apply 100% to the iPod as well... Yeah, it was more expensive than any other option for music. And there was the hassle of ripping and moving all your music, and the hassle of every single song being stolen...

ubrella_corp

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I've been back and forth on this for a wile, I did try and read Ebooks from my palm-Pilot once and gave up into the third page, But Ive seen this thing in action as I borrowed my friends for a week, this is no Palm screen It really is nice and sharp and I do Digi-Photography. Yes it is redundant to have over 3K of books at you tipsy-tips but "IPHONE ANYONE" That thing has more useless apps then Microsoft has Security patches! As for it being a idiot box, Well I know a lot of people that by books for $15-$25+ and then ether Trade/sell them for %5-%10 of retail or just chuck them away. So Come ON!! for at lest 3 out of 5 people I know that do this I think It's Perfect!!! 3 out of 5 X a few billion pages that came from Trees that could be saved, "lets not throw the word ignorance around so lightly." I but I do have to agree with the IPOD transfer fiasco and APPLE Flup up with switching devices, I am one of the few 2-5 that like my Leather bound Gold leafed edged book on my shelf, and yes it won't ever disperse in 3 to 5 years but I also don't have $161,000 for a 3500 book library in my taste. Now It is a bit price'y, but it does have some net'o b's-&-whistles for 3/4 of a inch. CONS: SUCH A BIG BATT why not back-lit so you can read at night, Amazon need to just stop being like Apple and Metalica and accept formats to be sent directly instead of this Email conversion crap. There is already a Crack for it! supporting protected files is fine but not at the expense of the consumers ease of use and or privacy. As for the Eye strain I found Reading for 2 hours on it was about as strenuous as 2hrs on PB. This is the difference, 1) BOOKS - 3D and in your hand this forces your eyes to focus on a wall, ceiling or something else as your hand gets tired and you move positions or flip the page, Computer screens not so much and sense this is a beautiful crisp screen that doesn't blare light into your eyes it's not that bad, just look away every 15-20 mins, this will allow you to keep reading without that pesky migraine, BTY to the makers of Kindle a opt 20min tone might help with that. Overall I like it but and I hope it go's down in price just a bit or they come out with a DX2 that is more Open sourced and maybe a touchpad to flip through pages with a flip of the finger I/O back-lit. just an idea It's cool and saving trees is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.