Amazon's 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD Now Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]wait wait wait...$49.99 for 12 sessions 250mb each session? So $50 for 3 gigs? WOW that's expensive.[/citation]

You clearly haven't seen the usual AT&T pricing. $50 a year breaks down to about $4 a month, which is far cheaper than the usual minimum plan from them. Of course, one would question how overage goes with this plan.

The Fire HD 8.9 could have been awesome. Why did they choose the lousy TI processors for them? Google can build a competitor with Tegra without ads. Suck up the cost Amazon, you can make a fortune on your market. Allowing Google to build a superior device allows their market to gain more footing.

The tablet market is such a frustrating mess of compromise. No HDMI here, no SD slot there. This one uses a lousy processor, that one has no GPS. Really, I understand cutting costs means sacrifice, but how much would building a tablet with all the bells and whistles cost if they can fit in one of them per device and still keep it low?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]You clearly haven't seen the usual AT&T pricing. $50 a year breaks down to about $4 a month, which is far cheaper than the usual minimum plan from them. Of course, one would question how overage goes with this plan.The Fire HD 8.9 could have been awesome. Why did they choose the lousy TI processors for them? Google can build a competitor with Tegra without ads. Suck up the cost Amazon, you can make a fortune on your market. Allowing Google to build a superior device allows their market to gain more footing.The tablet market is such a frustrating mess of compromise. No HDMI here, no SD slot there. This one uses a lousy processor, that one has no GPS. Really, I understand cutting costs means sacrifice, but how much would building a tablet with all the bells and whistles cost if they can fit in one of them per device and still keep it low?[/citation]

Why did they choose the lousy TI processors for them?
Though we have to wait for actual benchmarks, most tech forums agree (google it) that the TI OMAP 4470 SoC is actually superior to the Tegra 3. It can do 12 Billion floating point operations/sec vs. Tegra 3's 8 Billion. Also Tegra 3 still doesn’t support dual-channel memory, the OMAP does and uses dual-channel along their processors.

To each his own, but here is the reason I bought a Kindle Fire HD over a Nexus 7:

- Better screen
- Better speakers
- Better build quality (Also, uses actual Gorilla glass unlike the Nexus)
- Faster Wireless (dual band wifi)
- No slowdown issues when near capacity
- HDMI out

I agree though, it would be awesome to see a budget tablet that includes everything.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]Pay me $0.25 for every ad sent to the device (whether or not I see it), then we'll talk.[/citation]

its about 3$ per 1000 views, up to 10$
that normal rates
now targeted rates, on something like travel, when you are somewhat sure people are traveling, that can get you up to 100-200$ per 1000 views. or commission based ads, where you only pay when people click or when someone buys could be 1 cent a click up to 1% their purchase price.

at least understand how ads work before you want something for nothing.

you are getting the thing for 30~ less with ads, odds are you will never see 10000 ads from the time you buy it till the time you replace it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Why did they choose the lousy TI processors for them? Though we have to wait for actual benchmarks, most tech forums agree (google it) that the TI OMAP 4470 SoC is actually superior to the Tegra 3. It can do 12 Billion floating point operations/sec vs. Tegra 3's 8 Billion. Also Tegra 3 still doesn’t support dual-channel memory, the OMAP does and uses dual-channel along their processors.To each his own, but here is the reason I bought a Kindle Fire HD over a Nexus 7: - Better screen - Better speakers- Better build quality (Also, uses actual Gorilla glass unlike the Nexus)- Faster Wireless (dual band wifi)- No slowdown issues when near capacity- HDMI outI agree though, it would be awesome to see a budget tablet that includes everything.[/citation]

I'm not sure which tech forums said that, every comparison I've seen, including Tom's own, had the Tegra 3 much faster than the TI 4460. If we're comparing the 4470, Google has a different chip for their 10" model.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'd rather see it compared to something like a onex+ for Soc's sake ;) A 1.2ghz when they have a 1.7 TEgra3+ with a gpu that runs 520 instead of 416? Nexus7 is nice but they should offer a larger battery model with the tegra3+ as an option or something. I'd say you could easily make it up on price at say another $50-60 and it would sell even better than now. Look at which model of the 10 sold out first. 32GB. People will pay for better stuff. 1.2ghz just is a loser in the tegra field. You're dismissing another 500mhz for crying out loud. That's a crapload of performance. You need to benchmark vs. something with Nvidia's latest or you can't claim Tegra's suck. Yes 1.2ghz sucks. But 1.7ghz is plenty fine.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/31/htc-one-x-plus-review/
Granted it's a phone, but look at the benchmarks. It's wining almost everything but glbench which they even say is overly taxing and not representing real gaming. It took this long for everyone to catch Tegra, and only beat it in gpu (which should be remedied shortly Q1 with Wayne which doubles gpu and then some). The cpu won't gain much but it doesn't need to. Basically pairing mali604 nexus 10gpu perf with quad tegra+ a little oomph...Tough to beat that. Hoping google rev's the 10 in 3-4months with WAYNE. Just for tegrazone games coming. Slap in a SD slot and boom, ipad sales crumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.