[SOLVED] amber light on dell optiplex 755

Fenius

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
hello, i have an issue with my pc, whenever i try to boot, it just gives an amber light and wont become green again.
is it the power supply? or is it some other component that i must get?
specs:
dell optiplex 755
2GB RAM
Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)
Intel GMA 3100
275w PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.00GHz

Solution
If it the power button that is amber it will mean a bad PSU or motherboard. Not sure if those have proprietary PSU, more then likely you could probably pick up a used/refurb dell off ebay for about what you going to be paying for a new PSU for that computer.
If it the power button that is amber it will mean a bad PSU or motherboard. Not sure if those have proprietary PSU, more then likely you could probably pick up a used/refurb dell off ebay for about what you going to be paying for a new PSU for that computer.

Solution

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
The on and off button is normally green. When it turns yellow (amber) there are 2 diagnoses:
1 - solid yellow > Dell Diagnostics is running some motherboard related test. Hold.
2 - flashing yellow > PSU or system board failure

The probability of being PSU vs MOBO is 50/50
If the 755's PSU is genuine, it should be at end of service.
Try connecting another PSU for testing. (easiest way ;)
The MOBOs of this series, after years of use, frequently present problems in the capacitors.
If they are replaced the board "may" work again.
However, capacitors are usually tested off-board, so it might be cheaper and easier to replace the MOBO with an equal one.