News AMD’s 32-Core EYPC Milan Processors Beat Intel’s Flagship Xeons in Demo

Makaveli

Splendid
The demo on stage is Intel 56 cores vs AMD 64 cores.

Intel Xeon Gold 6258R 28 Cores x 2, AMD EPYC 7543 32 cores x 2

It was addressed in the details of the article however title is still misleading.

lightofhonor

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
The demo on stage is Intel 56 cores vs AMD 64 cores.

Intel Xeon Gold 6258R 28 Cores x 2, AMD EPYC 7543 32 cores x 2

It was addressed in the details of the article however title is still misleading.

It's a competitor in price, not cores. And even still, 15% more cores grants 68% higher performance. So ~38% better performance per core.

Reactions: Makaveli
Jan 12, 2021
I am a huge AMD fan but they are comparing an as of yet unreleased Milan processor to Intel's 2 year old Cascade Lake architecture (I get that the 6258R is 1 year old, but Cascade Lake is 2 years old).
I want to see Milan vs Ice Lake. I still think AMD comes out on top.

Reactions: Rdslw
I am a huge AMD fan but they are comparing an as of yet unreleased Milan processor to Intel's 2 year old Cascade Lake architecture (I get that the 6258R is 1 year old, but Cascade Lake is 2 years old).
It feels like they will be by like 35%. Intel needs to move to the lower node as at least half of the performance difference is the node used.
Still good job AMD for finally giving some fresh air into server space.
you could literally go into coma for 5years in 2012 and wake up see no changes....

Milan has been shipping to cloud partners already. In terms of the comparison, odds are AMD couldn't get a hold of an Ice Lake Xeon. Therefore they went with the current fastest Xeon they could acquire. Odds are that Ice Lake will only be able to compete with Rome based Epyc, but we won't know for quite until we see benchmarks.

Reactions: Makaveli