AMD’s Liquid-Cooled Vega Frontier Edition Available For $1,490

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re still not sure when we’ll see a consumer product based on Vega. AMD is putting its top silicon to work for the scientific community first.

AMD would have to be complete idiots to not do that. They have not had a high end Ti Nvidia competitor since the Fury X took on the 980Ti (and even that was largely a fail after all the hype of being a 980Ti killer). I've been reading that Nvidia is going to do a Pascal 10xx refresh to 20xx to tide everyone over until the consumer Volta next year (GTX 30xx), but I haven't read any confirmation of that that is credible.

The last time Nvidia did that was with Kepler and 6xx to 7xx, which really only gained about 10% except the intro of the new GTX 780 which was a cut down GK110 Titan ($650 sure beat $1,000 for 90% plus of the performance). AMD needs to hit Nvidia in the high end GPU market like they did with CPUs taking on Intel with Ryzen. Higher end GPUs offer higher profit margins.

AMD has focused mostly on the low hanging fruit sales except the 570/580. With more buyers going 4K these days or G-sync 1440p monitors requiring massive GPU power, if they fail to do make consumer level Vegas, it will be their market loss.

10tacle... all the 470, 480, 570 and 580 are sold out. They didn't do a misztake. IF Vega architecture excel in mining, like the early reports seems to indicate, they will sell easily. I heard something around 40-50 hash rate which is almost twice as much as the other cards.

Who said anything about AMD making a mistake? Note I'm talking about a Ti-level GPU competitor for Vega, not lower tier say RX 670 and RX 680 Vegas here (or whatever AMD will label them). Miners are not targeting high end GPUs for the obvious reason of cost/ROI.

My point, and I guess it wasn't clear, is that AMD needs to get back in the game of the Fury X and compete against Nvidia's Ti class (again, not that it was really competitive with the 980Ti). If memory serves me correctly, the 980Ti and Fury X were both $650 (USD) GPUs.

grozzie

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Have been waiting for a desktop VEGA for nearly a year! When are you going to deliver. RX580 doesn't really cut it anymore.

I don't think AMD needs to swoop in and steal the high-end until 2019-2020 when adoption of 4K is expected to reach 50%. From what I understand, 1440p and 4K are still 2% and below. The young generation today buying the inexpensive cards are the big spenders of tomorrow. Now's the time to build the base, build the driver team, and have a complete platform ready in a year or two.

2019-2020 would also see a console refresh, most likely, to also have something actually capable of 4K.

I'd like to see AMD really take their time on this. Intel is also making a big play in the e-sports market, which also happens to appeal to those buying the lower end parts. That is the play right now, that's the battleground. Win the war later.

D

Deleted member 217926

So far the air cooled Frontier Edition performs almost identically to my 980 Ti in the Unigine benchmarks ( Superposition and Valley ). I was actually almost shocked how well my 2 year old card did against it. This is the same 980 Ti I've been thinking about selling to get a GTX 1080 for my 1440p 60Hz screen. Am I missing something in that we're talking about a $1500 GTX 1070-1080 that uses 375 watts here? It's the same silicon right? Like their might be some driver improvements as always with AMD but best case it's going to compete with a GTX 1080? For $1500?

I'm sure I'll get downvotes for questioning the almighty AMD but I really don't understand these cards.

USAFRet

Titan

They need a $1500 GPU, just so they can say they have a $1500 GPU.
Does not matter that it does not perform 'a lot' better than anything else. Just has to be 'a little' better.

Just like that $1200 Titan Xp thing. A flagship, that only a few clueless will buy.

D

Deleted member 217926

They needed this card a year ago. At 1/3 the price.

On some level the Titan XP makes sense. A very high level to be sure but the Titan XP is hands down the fastest single card you can buy. For $1200 you get a card more than 30% faster than the $1500 Vega. Or you could get a pair of 1080 Ti cards for $1500.....I'm not faulting AMD for not beating the high end Nvidia cards. Ryzen had to have eaten most of their R&D budget and they wanted to stick with HBM which hasn't lived up to the early hype thanks to cheaper GDDR5X and soon to come GDDR6. It's the price that confuses me.

USAFRet

Titan

The price you might see for other similar liquid cooling solutions has nothing to do with the retail price of this GPU.
Absolutely nothing at all.

You don't simply take the 'price' of a part (liquid cooling), and add it to the 'price' of another part (GPU).
That $1500 is as much a marketing number as anything else.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Since the TDP of the watercooled version is higher, there may also be additional binning in play. This would mean that doing the watercooling yourself on the air-cooled variant may not give the same result. (I would be interested to read about such an experiment, however.)

G-Unit, that's spot on, lol!

I was in Microcenter shortly after I heard about the shortage of cards due to mining and they had their cards tagged at the market price for a single card, the tag stated 2 or more cards 10,000.00 each!

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

There are full controls available if you access the comments from the forums. If you're logged in on Tom's Hardware, there is a "comment from the forums" link at the top of the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.