News AMD’s laptop OEMs decry poor support, chip supply, and communication — OEM complains the company has "left billions of US dollars lying around" d...

It's kind of sad, but I can absolutely believe this with zero doubts.

The proof is in the puddin': Laptop marketshare is piss-poor still and the graphics side is non-existent. The small glimmer of hope that was 6K mobile vanished immediately and they're not convincing anyone with their constant flip-flopping with their OEM support. Case in point: Advantage laptops. Anyone remember that? Yeah, exactly. I don't like nVidia's or Intel's strategy and this is a weird thing to say to me, but I can't deny their consistent execution against OEMs expectations has been key to their dominant position there. Leaving Dell and, maybe, HP out since they've been in bed with Intel forever, everyone else just shrugs when AMD approaches them, I'm sure, since AMD has given them zero confidence for even a mid-term strategy, which is pathetic.

Come on AMD, step up your game. I want better products from you and I won't treat you like a charity.

Regards.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Personal anecdote from researching, searching for sellers, and buying a laptop.

AMD laptop selection was better back in 20/21 4000 series (Zen2 Renoir) days. Dell and Lenovo offered multiple models, on top of the usual Asus and Acer.
In 23/24, options are limited for Zen4. Even the 7000/8000 Zen2/3 refreshes are kind of limited to just one maker, Acer.
I have an easier time looking for a 7840HS based mini-PC comparatively.
When I search on amazon for "7840HS laptop", the top results I get are for 5800HS/6800HS new-old-stock sorts of laptops. That's how bad it is.

Reactions: NinoPino and Bikki
Sep 4, 2024
You would think that with Intel having a hard time or nvidia with it's exorbitant pricing that AMD would take the chance but no, it would find a way to flop itself. AT first I was frustrated but now I just laugh of how comical it is. Reminds me of George Hotz threatening AMD to not use their cards for their AI workstations that they finally got off their butts and actually do something.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
On the other hand, Qualcomm’s launch of the Snapdragon X processor was hotly anticipated by the general public
Anticipated by general public? Really? It's pure hype from paid press, nothing more. No one actually wants "AI PC" with "Windows on ARM".

That's surprising, given that Qualcomm is a newcomer to the market.
Oh, "first Windows on ARM" again?

tstager

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
I just received 197969 laptops with Strix point Ryzen 9. They got to me in two days with Amazon prime delivery. I was impressed with the quantity!

Team Red's laptop market share has finally reached 19%, but with the caveat that the gains have come after seven long years of its comeback with Ryzen, with the company often gaining fractions of a percentage point of share per quarter.
Another notable part is that they haven't been closing the volume/revenue gap. I'd go so far as to say since the 6000 series AMD has been the flat out better choice in laptops yet they haven't capitalized. People have been complaining about a lack of options/availability from AMD since the 5000 series. Whether this has to do with available TSMC volume or company focus on data center the onus should be on management to ensure that they're at least putting their best foot forward.

Reactions: Bikki

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
'left billions of US dollars lying around' repeated 3 tines in this short article, one in the title anh two in the write up. Copy and paste doesnt do this news any justice.

Edit: Paul has cleaned it up.

Reactions: NinoPino

waltc3

Honorable
Aug 4, 2019
Never heard of AC Analysis...;) But I stay far away from laptops whenever possible. This is possibly accurate to an extent, as AMD is still new to the laptop market.